[comp.protocols.appletalk] MH problems

RSILVERMAN@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU (Richard Silverman) (01/25/89)

Hello everyone,

	I am trying to get the Rand Message Handling system (MacMH) up on
an AT&T 3B2 running System V UNIX (R3.1).  After various travails, I seem to be
getting closer; here is the latest problem:  mhconfig completes OK, but the
main make to generate the system fails when linking various .a files (many
in zotnet), saying that there are unresolved references to symbols opendir,
readdir, and closedir.  My reason for looking at this whole thing is to try
to use POP with the Stanford POP mail client for the Mac.  Anyone have any
ideas?  Thanks,

                                                Richard Silverman

arpa:	rsilverman@eagle.wesleyan.edu           Wesleyan University
bitnet:	rsilverman@wesleyan                     Middletown, CT
CIS:	[72727,453]                             06457

scanner@pawl.rpi.edu (Eric "Scanner" Luce) (01/25/89)

In article <Added.0Xr=DRy00Ui30L6k8m@andrew.cmu.edu> RSILVERMAN@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU (Richard Silverman) writes:
>	I am trying to get the Rand Message Handling system (MacMH) up on
>an AT&T 3B2 running System V UNIX (R3.1).
>
>My reason for looking at this whole thing is to try
>to use POP with the Stanford POP mail client for the Mac.  Anyone have any
>ideas?  Thanks,
>                                                Richard Silverman
>
>arpa:	rsilverman@eagle.wesleyan.edu           Wesleyan University
>bitnet:	rsilverman@wesleyan                     Middletown, CT
>CIS:	[72727,453]                             06457

Hmm, this is the second time I have heard of MacPOP, with references
to it being written/made/etc. at Stanford.

Could someone follow-up (via e-mail if this has just been discussed
in this group and I missed it..) with more information if such exists,
please?

We're currently searching out an integrated mail environment here
at RPI and this is one of the things we are working with (mh and POP).
It would be greatly appreciated if this could be extended to the
networked Mac's we have.. (through FastPath 4's and a gatorbox..)

Thanks muchly!

--Scanner

-- internet: scanner@itsgw.rpi.edu
-- bitnet:   userf0f3@rpitsmts.bitnet

maas@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (andy maas) (01/27/89)

>Hmm, this is the second time I have heard of MacPOP, with references
>to it being written/made/etc. at Stanford.
>
>Could someone follow-up (via e-mail if this has just been discussed
>in this group and I missed it..) with more information if such exists,
>please?

MacMH is part of Stanford SU-Mac/IP3.0 package.
Send query to macip@jessica.stanford.edu.

Andy Maas
Networking & Communication Systems
Stanford University

Networking and Communication Systems is now distributing Version 3.0
of the Stanford University - Macintosh/Internet Protocol (SU-Mac/IP)
program (three software disks, a user's manual, and an administrator's
manual).  This new version includes two applications:

Mac/IP, with four functions: terminal emulation (Telnet), file
   transfer (FTP), and determining electronic mail addresses, plus
   other information about network users and computers (Whois and
   Finger).

Mac/MH for exchanging mail across networks without accounts on
   mainframe computers.  At Stanford, you can use Mac/MH for electronic
   mail on and off campus via the Stanford University Network (SUNet).

In addition to Mac/MH, Version 3.0 of SU-Mac/IP includes the
following enhancements:

1. Network customization has been simplified.

2. Data on the customization of the Mac/MH and Mac/IP applications is
   saved in a file in the system folder.  Therefore, Mac/IP and Mac/MH
   can be installed on a server for shared use.

3. Apple Computer's MultiFinder program is supported; when
   Mac/IP is put in the background on machines running MultiFinder,
   all Mac/IP function windows are shrunk.

4. The size of windows in Mac/IP functions can be changed with a
   zoom box.

5. Telnet --

   a. You can now conduct up to seven Telnet sessions simultaneously.

   b. You have the option of selecting menu items with command-key
      equivalents on Macintosh SE and II ADB keyboards.

   c. The extended VT100 keypad is supported.

6. File Transfer Protocol (FTP) --

   a. You can create local folders from within the FTP function
      and transfer files into those Macintosh folders.

   b. In addition to ASCII and binary modes, MacBinary transfer has
      been added to the mode toggle.  While only the data segment of
      a file is transferred with binary mode, MacBinary transfers
      both the resource and data forks of a document as a single file.

7. Finger and Whois --

   Finger and Whois services are selected via separate items in the
   Mac/IP file menu, reducing access to either service to one step
   instead of two.

8. Hardware --

   Communication is supported for Macintosh II machines connected
   directly to the Ethernet via network adapter boards. As well as
   Localtalk connected Macintoshes.

1. MacMh is a client implementation of SMTP and "revised" POP protocols.
	It utilizes MacIntosh friendly interface.

2. Users of MacMH should have a mailbox in any UNIX machine running POP.
	POP is Post Office Protocol and its implementation is available
	via anonymous FTP from louie.udel.edu in portal/mh-6.6.tar.Z.
	This package (MH 6.6) is a complete Mail Handler that runs on most
	UNIX systems.

3. MacMH uses POP protocol to get users mail from his mailbox in the POP
	server.

4. MacMH uses SMTP to send mail out to a relay host (Any host running SMTP).
	Thus MacMH doesn't try to send mail directly to destinations. This
	has the advantage of the relay host to do the resending and return
	any error (to users mailbox in POP server).

5. For better security, a connection to SMTP server is preceded with an
	authorization with POP server. This simply check if the user has a
	valid account in POP server. The intention is not to let user
	"pretending" as somebody else, in sending out mail.