Date: Fri, 27 Jan 89 09:30:28 PST
From: doxsee@composite.stanford.edu
Subject: Macs, Suns on a network

I would like to include one Mac SE into a pre-existing ethernet network
between Suns and PCs.  The PCs are able to send postscript files over the
network (w/ PC/NFS) to the Sun which acts as a print spooler for an Apple
LaserWriter IInx.  I would like to do the same with the Mac.  Since it's
likely that only one Mac will ever be hooked up to the network (Macs are
many times more expensive than PC clones here in Belgium), I'm considering
connecting the Mac to the network with a SCSI Ethernet connector (the slot
is filled with a PC drive card) instead of a with a bridge/gateway such as
Kinetics Fast Path or Gaterbox.  My question is this: with a Mac connected
to the network with a SCSI ethernet connector (such as Kinetics EtherSC),
can I use Columbia AppleTalk Package (CAP) for spooled printing on the
LaserWriter connected to the Sun?  Is this operation relatively simple
and "transparent" to the user?  Also, can the Sun be used as a AppleShare
file server with this hardware and software configuration?  Also, is
there an expert at Columbia whom I can contact directly?

Thanks for the help.

Tad Doxsee
Dept. of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium

doxsee@composite.stanford.edu (will be forwarded)
doxsee%kulmech@kulesat.uucp

** It is occasionally the curse of visionaries to see their visions fulfulled.
                                                -- author??

----- End of forwarded messages