[comp.protocols.appletalk] KIP-CAP Overview

wnn@DSUNX1.DSRD.ORNL.GOV (W. N. Naegeli) (01/20/89)

Several weeks ago, someone offered to post a good description of KIP, CAP and
their interaction and/or to make it available for anonymous FTP. I have been
eagerly waiting for it but haven't seen any further reference to it. I hope
to see it or an announcement here soon. Thanks.

U1DF1@WVNVM.BITNET ("John Neubert") (01/21/89)

>Several weeks ago, someone offered to post a good description of KIP, CAP and
>their interaction and/or to make it available for anonymous FTP. I have been
>eagerly waiting for it but haven't seen any further reference to it. I hope
>to see it or an announcement here soon. Thanks.

I would very much like to see such also.  Thanks to any and all who can
provide.

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (01/24/89)

In article <8901191943.AA06475@dsunx1>, wnn@DSUNX1.DSRD.ORNL.GOV (W. N. Naegeli) writes:
> Several weeks ago, someone offered to post a good description of KIP, CAP and
> their interaction and/or to make it available for anonymous FTP. I have been
> eagerly waiting for it but haven't seen any further reference to it. I hope
> to see it or an announcement here soon. Thanks.

The file that I announced as being available IS available.  I guess my
announcement may have been eaten by all the netnews expiration software!

It's available for anonymnous ftp on sol.engin.umich.edu (35.2.64.64)

-dave

--
Dave Falkenburg @ University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network
ARPA: falken@caen.engin.umich.edu    UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!falken

In article <Added.QXpriKy00Ui3IHMk8c@andrew.cmu.edu>, U1DF1@WVNVM.BITNET ("John Neubert") writes:
> >Several weeks ago, someone offered to post a good description of KIP, CAP and
> >their interaction and/or to make it available for anonymous FTP. I have been
> >eagerly waiting for it but haven't seen any further reference to it. I hope
> >to see it or an announcement here soon. Thanks.
>
> I would very much like to see such also.  Thanks to any and all who can
> provide.

It's up on sol.engin.umich.edu (35.2.64.64)

-dave

--

A.Eric@GSB-WHY.STANFORD.EDU (Eric M. Berg) (01/30/89)

Dave Falkenburg writes:

>> The file that I announced as being available IS available.  I guess my
>> announcement may have been eaten by all the netnews expiration software!

>> It's available for anonymnous ftp on sol.engin.umich.edu (35.2.64.64)

More specifically, the file is in directory ~ftp/pub/ATalkArticle; here's
a listing:

ATalkArticle:
total 186
-rw-r--r--  1 1232     pseudo     115036 Jan  3 13:15 Article.Sit.Hqx
-rw-r--r--  1 1232     pseudo      58654 Jan  3 13:17 UnSit.Hqx

where "Article.Sit.Hqx" is a Macintosh document which has been "stuff-it-ed"
and "bin-hexed", and UnSit.Hqx is a bin-hexed Mac application which will
un-"stuffit".

I haven't had a chance to download this to my Mac and read it yet.  I
thought perhaps I'd provide a "simpleton's view" of KIP and CAP for those
who want a short description of what they are and do.  [I'm sure there will
be many errors in the following; it is not meant to be a precise technical
description, many subtle points will be overlooked, and this may not be the
most up-to-date information.]

What is KIP?
============

"KIP" stands for "Kinetics IP".  It's software that you load into and run
on your Kinetics FastPath gateway in order to allow your Macintoshes to
communicate with IP hosts on an IP network.  In other words, it allows the
K-box to function as an IP router between an Ethernet and a LocalTalk net.

As such, it provides an alternative to the gateway software originally
supplied by Kinetics, which was useful primarily for allowing two
physically-separated AppleTalk (actually, LocalTalk) networks to be
"bridged" over Ethernet so as to look like one large AppleTalk net.  Note,
however, that the latest code from Kinetics, known as "K-STAR" or "K*",
provides much of the same functionality.   (See RL "Bob" Morgan's recent
contribution to INFO-APPLETALK for a detailed comparison.)

In particular, KIP consists of several components:

    1.  the actual binary which runs in the Kinetics gateway, AT-GW.SREC.
It's downloaded "as is" to the K-box, using the Kinetics FastPath Manager
program.

    2.  the sources to the "AppleTalk Administrative Daemon", a BSD Unix
application which provides the Kinetics gateway with the configuration
and routing information it needs.  You must have a BSD system running the
ATalkAD to use KIP.

Typically, KIP is used to allow Macintoshes on AppleTalk (originally just
LocalTalk, now including EtherTalk) to hold remote login sessions (via
Telnet), transfer files to/from (via FTP), get user information (via
Finger and/or Whois), exchange mail (using the POPserver protocol), etc.,
with IP-speaking hosts (Unix, DEC-20, VMS with TCP/IP software, etc.) on
your network.  To do this, you need the appropriate Macintosh applications,
such as NCSA Telnet, or SU-MacIP and SU-MacMH from Stanford.

KIP also includes the "AppleTalk bridging" functionality described above;
that is, it allows physically-separated LocalTalk nets to appear as one
large network.  It also provides some rudimentary access-controls (e.g. the
ability to prevent users in one AppleTalk "zone" to see resources such as
printers in other "zones").

KIP is largely the work of Bill Croft of Stanford SUMEX and CSLI.  It can
be obtained via FTP from PS:<INFO-MAC>AT-KIP.SHAR on host
SUMEX-2060.STANFORD.EDU, or from ~ftp/pub/info-mac/unix/at-kip.shar on host
Sumex-AIM.Stanford.EDU.

What is CAP?
============

CAP stands for "Columbia AppleTalk Package".  It is software which runs on
a BSD Unix system on an IP network and allows that Unix system to offer
services to (and make use of services provided by) a network of
Macintoshes running AppleTalk.  Note that the AppleTalk network must be
linked to the IP Ethernet via a Kinetics gateway running the KIP code.

[Caveat:  I don't know whether a Kinetics gateway running "K-STAR" will
work.  I don't know if you even need a Kinetics gateway if your Macs have
Ethertalk cards *and* the appropriate IP software drivers.]

What functionality does CAP provide?  The most commonly-used services are
probably the following:

	AUFS ("Apple Unix File Server") -- allows your BSD Unix system to
act as an AppleShare file server for Macintoshes.  The Macs use the
AppleShare client software that comes bundled with MacOS, and AUFS
provides the server.  (Thus, it's an alternative to a dedicated Macintosh
running Apple's AppleShare server software.)  Note:  AUFS will *not* work
with IBM-PCs using Apple's "AppleShare PC" product.

	"papif" ("printer access protocol input filter") -- a Unix program
which allows the Unix "lpd" software to send print requests to LaserWriters
which are on an AppleTalk network (as opposed to being hung off the Unix
system's serial ports).  This allows the Unix system and a network of Macs
to share a LaserWriter.

	"lwsrv" ("LaserWriter server") -- sort of the opposite of papif; it
allows the Unix system to act as a print server/spooler for the Macs.  That
is, the Unix-based spooler shows up in the Chooser looking like a LaserWriter,
accepts print requests from the Macs, and then sends them to the LaserWriter
(which can be connected either on a serial port or to AppleTalk via papif).

These services are all based on a set of library routines and utility programs
(such as "atis", which provides name-registry and -lookup service for the
Unix-based AppleTalk services).

CAP was written at Columbia University by Charlie Kim and his associates.
Information about how to obtain it is contained in the "INFO" file which I
will post to INFO-APPLETALK immediately following this message.

					Eric M. Berg
					Price Waterhouse Technology Centre
					Menlo Park, Ca.

[Disclaimer: Despite the source of this message, I no longer work for
Stanford University.  Neither my previous nor my current employers necessarily
endorse the views expressed herein.]
-------