[comp.protocols.appletalk] Internet service from a K-box and over a bridge

asher@UHURA.CC.ROCHESTER.EDU (Samuel Asher) (01/28/89)

Hi,
	I am trying to get Macs that are connected via a Hayes InterBridge
to have IP service from a K-box.  Here is the topology:

  Mac  ----- Hayes-Bridge ---- K-box =============== K-box
 ZoneA                         ZoneB                 ZoneA

----- AppleTalk
===== Ethernet

Would the Mac in this picture be able to get tcp/ip service (eg run ncsa telnet)
if it were in the same zone as its nearest K-box?  Is it even possible
to get tcp/ip service across a bridge at all?  Does it make a difference
whether the K-boxes are FP-3, FP-4, or mixed?  (We have some flexibility
on this.)

Many thanks to anyone who can respond.

	Samuel Asher
	University of Rochester

tjh+atalk.errors@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (01/28/89)

Samuel Asher writes:
>	I am trying to get Macs that are connected via a Hayes InterBridge
>to have IP service from a K-box.  Here is the topology:
>
>  Mac  ----- Hayes-Bridge ---- K-box =============== K-box
> ZoneA                         ZoneB                 ZoneA
>
>----- AppleTalk
>===== Ethernet
>
>Would the Mac in this picture be able to get tcp/ip service (eg run ncsa telnet)?

My immediate response would be yes, it should.  If the Hayes Interbridge is a
zone "transparent" bridge (ie. does not create a new zone) I don't see why it
wouldn't work.  NCSA Telnet should be sending appletalk encapsulated TCP/IP
packets, which look just like appletalk packets to the Internet bridge.  The
Hayes Interbridge should just route them to the K-box.

<General disclaimer:  Just another programmer/engineer/student rambling and
                      trying to learn a thing or two...>

Patrick Gaughan		Programmer of Gor
pgaughan@nmsu.edu	New Mexico State University
			(I in no way represent the above institution...)

buzz@kinetics.UUCP (Mahboud Zabetian) (02/02/89)

If the Macintosh is in zone B, then you can use either KIP or K-Star, to get
TCP/IP service. i.e., the k-box is in the same zone.

If the mac is in zone A, then you need K-Star.

I think.

Standard Disclaimer:  Don't mind me, I'm just babbling.
    Mahboud Zabetian	(415) 256-3702		buzz@kinetics.uucp
     Kinetics, Inc.			...!ucbvax!mtxinu!kinetics!buzz
   2540 Camino Diablo		      ***Coming soon: buzz@kinetics.com !!***
Walnut Creek, CA 94596		     mtxinu!kinetics!buzz@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
   "You may ask yourself, how did I get here?  This isn't my beautiful..."
 							--- Talking Heads