[comp.protocols.appletalk] Any experience with Cayman GatorBox?

chip@pender.ee.upenn.edu (Charles H. Buchholtz) (01/24/89)

I am interested in buying a cayman GatorBox to connect our twenty Macs
with our 15 Suns.  However, I have heard some rumors that I'd like to
check out.

One is that the GatorBox is VaporWare.  Is there anyone out there
using one?  Could you please send me a description of your experience
with the GatorBox?

The second is that the GatorBox has trouble booting on a busy net.
Has anyone experienced this?

Thank you for your help.  If I get a lot of responses, I'll summarize
for the net.

Charles H. Buchholtz                           chip@ee.upenn.edu
Systems Programmer                             (215) 898-2284
Department of Electrical Engineering           200 S. 33rd St, rm 328
University of Pennsylvania                     Philadelphia, PA 19104

jeff@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Stearns) (02/04/89)

In article <7283@netnews.upenn.edu> chip@pender.ee.upenn.edu (Charles H. Buchholtz) writes:
>I am interested in buying a cayman GatorBox to connect our twenty Macs
>with our 15 Suns.  However, I have heard some rumors that I'd like to
>check out.
>
>One is that the GatorBox is VaporWare.  Is there anyone out there
>using one?  Could you please send me a description of your experience
>with the GatorBox?

My GB has sufficiently high vapor pressure to hold a serial number: 000291.
It's a few months old.  For the record, I am running software release 1.30.

It works generally as expected, although there are a few unfinished features:
there isn't presently any SMTP support nor whatever printer support was
originally promised.

It *does* emulate a FastPath, and KIP and MAC-IP code works fine.  I use
Columbia's CAP code to drive some LaserWriters through it.  I use NCSA telnet
to talk through the GB to a variety of hosts on Ethernet.

The GB has a few problems with mapping between UNIX directory permissions and
AppleShare folder permissions.  T

Performance isn't as good as I'd like.  In particular, opening large folders
should be at least twice as fast to please me.  Large applications with
monolithic CODE segments are slow to start up.  NCSA telnet is a particularly
horrible example at over 60 seconds!  On the other hand, performance is
sufficiently good so that reading or writing data files is generally not a
bottleneck.  I expect performance to improve in future releases.

Note that our NFS fileservers are very fast and are unquestionably not the
bottleneck here.

The manual isn't very good; compare it to a Trailblazer manual.  It contains a
number of untruths.

>The second is that the GatorBox has trouble booting on a busy net.
>Has anyone experienced this?

My GB boots fine on a LocalTalk net of about 15 hosts.  I recently reconfigured
it to boot via TFTP from a Sun fileserver over its Ethernet connection; it
boots just fine in this configuration as well.  At no time have I ever seen a
boot failure I could reasonably attribute to problems on a "busy net".
I've probably booted it about 40 times.

For the record, Cayman can be reached at 617-494-1999.

P.S.  Cayman's Tech support is absolutely top notch.

--
    Jeff Stearns        John Fluke Mfg. Co, Inc.               (206) 356-5064
    jeff@tc.fluke.COM   {uw-beaver,microsoft,sun}!fluke!jeff

PS - Calling all users of the Vitalink TransLAN IV Ethernet bridge! Please
     drop me a line.