[comp.protocols.appletalk] EtherTalk and Virtual

Ravinder.Chandhok@CS.CMU.EDU (Rob Chandhok) (02/14/89)

>From info-mac:

>Date: Mon, 13 Feb 89 18:03:57 +0100
>From: Sigurd Meldal <sigurd@eik.ii.uib.no>
>Subject: Virtual - some praise, some problems

>least one exception applies, though).

The symptoms you describe can be narrowed down to "Virtual does not work
when using Ethertalk".  When you use the Apple EtherTalk card with SU-MacIP
or NCSA (configured properly), they access the card directly, and attach
their own protocol handlers for IP.  Thus, they operate completely
independantly of the current AppleTalk driver.

I am interested in this interaction since I have seen weird things happen
with Ethertalk in general, like dropping interrupts, crashing, etc.  I
haven't been able to isolate it as well as you, however.  Any other stories
about EtherTalk oddities would be welcomed.

Rob Chandhok
School of Computer Science, CMU

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (02/17/89)

I wonder if the problem is in the '.ENET' driver, or in the alternate
appletalk code?  There are some experiments that would be interesting
to do.

First, try something like TSSNet with Virtual.  TSSNet uses the '.ENET'
driver to access the ethernet card.  If this works, then the problem
is probably with the alternate appletalk code.

Another experiment would be to try a non-Apple ethernet card and
driver.  A Dove FastNet III card would be good for this.  I wrote
Dove's '.ENET' driver, and I can't think of anything in the driver
that should cause problems under Virtual.

On the other hand, I've MacNosy'ed Apple's driver, and didn't see
anything there that would cause problems, either.  I suspect that it must
be something in the alternate appletalk code.  I've MacNody'ed the
'atlk', and that looks OK too.  Maybe the INIT 18 resource is
where the problem lies ( or whatever the number is ).  Anyone
MacNosy'ed this one yet?

Let me rephrase the above.  I can't think of anything that should
cause trouble under Virtual with ethernet that shouldn't also cause
trouble with LocalTalk.  I wonder how Virtual deals with the following:

	1. Someone starts a SCSI operation.  They do the SCSIGet
	and SCSISelect and SCSICmd.

	2. LocalTalk or EtherTalk packet arrives, generates an interrupt
	before the SCSI operation can be completed.

	3. Driver gets packet, disptaches protocol handler

	4. Protocol handler gets page fault ( note that the SCSI
	bus is not available )

( if you want a really pathological situation, assume that the Mac is
using a SCSI ethernet adaptor :-) )

Now I am really confused.  How does Virtual manage to work at all
with LocalTalk?

						Tim Smith