[comp.protocols.appletalk] MacMH / Stanford MH

tjh+atalk.errors@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (02/04/89)

We recently brought up the MH package from stanford and the MacMH
package to let all sorts of people use mail.  The problem we are
having is the POP server that came with MH from stanford.  It can't
read the mail file correctly.  If any one has any ideas, or pointers,
please let me know.  Oh, we're running SunOS 3.5.

-Richard Ward
rbw@cs.williams.edu		Williams College, Williamstown, MA

kre@cs.mu.oz.au (Robert Elz) (02/05/89)

In article <8902031901.AA03315@guernsey.cs.williams.edu>, tjh+atalk.errors@ANDREW.CMU.EDU writes:
> The problem we are > having is the POP server that came with MH
> from stanford.  It can't read the mail file correctly.

I'm not using MacMH (I believe its coming), and I'm also not
using MH 6.6 yet, still on MH 6.5.  However I have seen the
POP server problem you refer to (it really only wants to work
with MMDF format mailboxes).

I have some fixes for it which seem to work here, and I have been
told that they work for MH 6.6 as well.

They aren't particularly elegant, and in particular, the unix "From_"
line is lost completely (so if you're using MH as a pop client, it
doesn't have the opportunity to turn this line into a Return-Path
which it would if the mailbox was local).

Still, I have been using it for months now.

There are just a couple of changed files from MH, if someone can suggest
a suitable distribution method (I don't plan on mailing it to the US more
than once) I'd be happy to make it available.

kre

maas@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (andy maas) (02/07/89)

>We recently brought up the MH package from stanford and the MacMH
>package to let all sorts of people use mail.  The problem we are
>having is the POP server that came with MH from stanford.  It can't
>read the mail file correctly.  If any one has any ideas, or pointers,
>please let me know.  Oh, we're running SunOS 3.5.

POP server, which is part of public domain Mail Handler package MH6.6,
is not part of Stanford MacIP3.0 package. MH6.6 can be obtained via
anonymous FTP from louie.udel.edu : portal/mh-6.6.tar.Z.

The installation of MH is not an easy task. From the description of
your problem, you might want to read doc/mhook.man about how your
incoming mail is intercepted by POP (uip/slocal program) to be put
in your mail spool area in POP format. Assuming you setup you MH config
file with POP, RPOP ans SendMail as mts, then you need to pipe you
incoming mail to "slocal" via .forward file.

BTW, the use of "slocal" is NOT mentioned in ADMIN.doc or READ-ME file.

Andy Maas
Networking & Communication Systems
Stanford University

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (02/22/89)

> Is there any alternative source for MH6.6?

uunet.uu.net

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford