[comp.protocols.appletalk] Appletalk Books

jdm1@eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) (02/22/89)

I am looking for a book on appletalk that is not of the "you too can do
desktop publishing with both macs and PCs" genre.  (BYTE ran a fairly
good article on appletalk some 6+ months ago which was a good start.)

Our operation uses X.25 for our WAN and some NETBIOS over RS-422
(convergent) so we aren't absolute novices to netting, but it seems
that nuts and bolts level appletalk info is not readily available.

I'd really like something on the protocol specs, programming interfaces
(not necessarily too heavy here), and info on third party devices, drivers
etc. We've only got five or six macs so it isn't a big deal, yet.

  Thanks much-

J.D. McCown  Senate of Pennsylvania RCSG
...psuvax1!eds1!jdm1

RSILVERMAN@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU (Richard Silverman) (02/22/89)

J.D.,
	For protocol specs, see Inside AppleTalk (available from APDA).
For the standard programming interface, see Inside Macintosh volumes II and
V.  Advance specs on protocols under development and some third party stuff
are also to be found from APDA.  Hope that helps,

                                                Richard Silverman

arpa:	rsilverman@eagle.wesleyan.edu           Wesleyan University
bitnet:	rsilverman@wesleyan                     Middletown, CT
CIS:	[72727,453]                             06457

wnn@DSUNX1.DSRD.ORNL.GOV (W. N. Naegeli) (02/22/89)

Jon McCown writes:
> I am looking for a book on appletalk that is not of the "you too can do
> desktop publishing with both macs and PCs" genre.
Kinetics has recently started distributing a "Network Primer" by Lisa M.
Schmidt and June M. Watanabe. Though it has a few errors and oddities and
emphasizes Kinetics solutions it gives a fairly good overview.  It is part
of the FastPath 4 manual, but they also distribute it as a paperback brochure.
On its back it says $19.95  193/001800, but I have received one for free.
Call them up (415) 947-0988 and tell them you are interested in their
various hardware and software products. They also have a 'Counterpart"
brochure with terse information about many third-party products compatible
with Kinetics gateways and boards.
Macazine has published several extensive articles on networking over the last
18 months or so.
Finally, there are "Inside AppleTalk," "AppleTalk Manager Update," "Apple
Talk Data Stream Protocol Preliminary Note," "AppleTalk Filing Protocol,"
"EtherTalk Preliminary Notes" and several "Technical Notes" providing the
most complete and reliable but hard to use source of information.  All are
available from APDA, the Apple Programmer's and Developer's Association.

There is also a commercial book by Stephen L. Michel, "IBM PC and Macintosh
Networking," 1988 Hayden Macintosh Library Books, Hayden Books, Indianapolis, $21.95
It doesn't cover EtherTalk, TCP/IP or anything involving Ethernet, but it
explains well how PC's and Macs can share information with TOPS or AppleShare.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
wnn@dsunx1.dsrd.ornl.gov (128.219.96.46)
(615) 574-6143

hgw@MATH.UCLA.EDU (Harold Wong) (02/23/89)

There is a mistake on Kinetics' phone number in a previous posting.
Their number is (415)947-0998.  Please don't callt he other number, the
poor lady is getting sick of all the calls.

Harold Wong         (213) 825-9040
UCLA-Mathnet; 3915F MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024-1555
ARPA: hgw@math.ucla.edu          BITNET: hgw%math.ucla.edu@INTERBIT