[comp.protocols.appletalk] A.D.S.P. for UNIX

alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) (03/02/89)

> In article <720@metasoft.UUCP> I wrote:
>
> we'd like to run the new eXodus X server on the mac II. as i
> understand it, we can use TCP/IP with ethernet cards running
> in the Mac II, or we can use the Appletalk Data Stream Protocol
> with our Kinetics box. The second option requires ADSP to be
> running on the host (a Sun 3 in this case).
>
> does anyone know how this might work, and where the ADSP
> software can be obtained?

David Elliott <stan!salgado!dcewrites:

Contact Jon Simmonds at IPT (Information Presentation Technologies).
Their number is (818)347-7791.

I'm not sure if they have ADSP running on the Sun 3 yet, but they
were getting close back in November.  They definitely do have
some software for the Sun 3.  I saw it running when I worked with
them, and I saw an announcement for product shipment back in
early January.

I used the software on a MIPS M/120 last year, and it was great.
I ran a MacII diskless (well, I had to boot from floppy, but after
that it asked me for a Unix login, kicked out the disk, and
warm-booted from the network).  Also, it gives Unix/Mac access
to printers on both networks, so you can access a LaserWriter
from Unix and a Unix printer from the Mac.  There's also a Unix
mail interface and a few other neat items.  My point is that
it can be useful for many needs, not just ADSP.

-alan