[comp.protocols.appletalk] KFPS-2 / NCSA Telnet 2.2 problem?

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (03/13/89)

In article <10576@louie.udel.EDU> garrett@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:

 > In article <46046@linus.UUCP>, bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) wrote...

 > > In our nearly identical situation, we use ipsubshift 11, not 3
 > > (Name:  0b05...)

 > If you follow the directions in the old Addendum, using this
 > ipsubshift and ipsubmask pair, every one of our APNs would have
 > AppleTalk subnet numbers of 2, the same as the Engineering College
 > Ethernet, and each other, definitely not good, right?  Are we only
 > able to have multiple fastpaths/appletalk nets on one IP subnet
 > using Class C addressing?

Class C?  I thought your new IP address was class B.  If it was Class
C, then you are right, the ipsubshift should be only 3, not 11.

 > > We add Option 1 (Strict AARP Option) like so:
 > > Zone Name:  Corporate Ethernet|0001

 > This is an option on the ethernet side of the Manager settings?
 > The manual makes no mention of them.  Will this work on etalkgw.srec
 > v1.0, which is what we have?

We are using etalkgw.srec, but I don't recall a version number.  The
option codes did not appear in the earliest documentation, but they
are documented somewhere.  Kinetics should help you locate the
relevant version of the documentation.  If any of our K-boxes fail
to specify Option 1, our whole network goes down the tubes.

 > > Do you have the appropriate "/etc/route add" entries in the
 > > unreachable machines?  In our nearly identical situation, one
 > > of our machines acts as a gateway between IP networks.  (We need
 > > to do this even though all IP networks traverse a common Ethernet.)

 > We never had to have 'route' entries for the fastpaths before on any of
 > our hosts, but then again we never had to telnet directly to any class B
 > addresses before that weren't already on the same cable as ourselves.
 > The Kinetics Addendum is very terse in it's treatment of IP subnetting.
 > They devote about 5 paragraphs on two pages to this and don't give much
 > in the way of examples.  However, they do talk about two ways of handling
 > IP addressing/subnetting, and only one of them requires adding explicit
 > "route"s for the boxes, I thought I was following the directions for the
 > 2nd way correctly, but I guess I'm missing something.

Don't feel too bad.  We all ended up with splitting headaches trying
to solve the Chinese puzzle when we added a Class B network.  The
Class C hosts won't answer Telnet calls from Class B subnetworks
unless there is either a "route add" entry or a gateway machine
providing the interface between the Class B and Class C networks.
If you have such a gateway machine, you must specify it to the K-box
as a suffix to the AppleTalk Zone Name field.  (All very confusing.)

--Barry Kort