[comp.protocols.appletalk] MacRestore

stjohn@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Dave St. John) (11/18/88)

I have the MacDump program (both parts) and have it running just fine
except how do you restore the files to the Mac? The Dumper program on
the Mac says there should be a restore application. Does anyone have
this or know where to get it?

Thanks in advance
Dave

UUCP:		...!devvax.tn.cornell.edu!oswego!stjohn
INTERNET:	stjohn@oswego.oswego.edu 	(129.3.1.1)

US Mail:	Dave St. John
    		Instructional Computing Center
	    	SUNY College at Oswego
        	Oswego, N.Y. 13126

Armadillo: to provide weapons to Spanish pickles

Gavin_Eadie@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU (11/18/88)

>                                            The Dumper program on
> the Mac says there should be a restore application. Does anyone
> have this or know where to get it?
---
The MacDump/MacRestore programs were written at BBN, by Dan Tappan,
and are available by ftp from mikey.bbn.com [128.89.0.148]. The last
time I looked, MacDump, MacRestore and the user manual were all
there.

ericb@libdev (Eric Bivona) (03/17/89)

I have Dan Tappan's MacDump system running on a Vax (4.3 BSD).  The
dump system seems to work fine, but I can not get the Restore
application to work.  I have a Mac II, running system 6.0.1,
MultiFinder 6.1b7.  When I run Restore it complains that I have not
selected a Restore server with the Chooser, even if I have (previously
or concurrent with the Restore application).  I would believe that
Restore might be confused about running under MultiFinder, if so, is
there a MultiFinder friendly version out there?  N.B. MacDump runs
fine under MultiFinder...

Thanks for any help!

-Eric "it's a write only backup system" Bivona

djh@munnari.oz (David Hornsby) (03/19/89)

In article <12687@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> Eric.J.Bivona@Dartmouth.EDU writes:
>I have Dan Tappan's MacDump system running on a Vax (4.3 BSD).  The
>dump system seems to work fine, but I can not get the Restore
>application to work. When I run Restore it complains that I have not
>selected a Restore server with the Chooser, even if I have ...

We had the same problem. It was solved by changing the name of the dumper
RDEV back to 'Dumper' (which is where 'Restore' looks for the server name).

 - David.