[comp.protocols.appletalk] kinetics woes

ggm@brolga.cc.uq.oz (George Michaelson) (03/17/89)

Problem: how do you subnet your localtalk cable properly?

Config:	Kinetics box with 1.02 rev proms
	kip0688
	cap50
	FastPath Manager V 2.0

I want to take the APPLESHARE traffic off net 130.102.128 and onto
a subnet 130.102.80 but can find no way to "tell" the kinetics box
to listen on net 130.102.128 and route into this subnet.

-If I try, the box becomes visible for pings etc, but never completes
the dialogue with atalkad.

it is impossible to do a route add 130.102.80.0 130.102.80.220 (it's address)
since you can't route to a subnet from within that net itself!

the multigate (free advert time) is *totally* configurable and you
can quite easily say hey... listen on 130.102.128.80 and handle all
traffic for net 130.102.80.0, using the low-byte of one IP address as the
high-byte of the new subnet makes things nice and self-consistent.

I know my boxes are working well otherwise, if I use net 130.102.128 for
both kinetics and normal stuff it works fine.

I have experimented with several combinations of entry in /etc/atalkatab
but cannot find an entry which has the right effect.

I have seen various semi-pornographic references to adding stuff into
the zone name after a "|" but since the prompt.config file is unreadable
under fastpath manager (documented in kip0688 as: "use it anyway") I can't
see how to do this without smashing other information. It isn't well
documented here anyhow... nor is the rumours about setting subnet masks
and the like.

The kip code is well documented, but the documents freely admit to not
showing class C subnetting and none of the examples show a box doing this
cross-routing. it does imply there aren't any "dependencies" on class B
addressing.

cheers,
	-george
--
ACSnet: ggm@brolga.cc.uq.oz                    Phone: +61 7 377 4079
Postal: George Michaelson, Prentice Computer Centre

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (03/20/89)

In article <280@brolga.cc.uq.oz> ggm@brolga.cc.uq.oz (George Michaelson) writes:

>Problem: how do you subnet your localtalk cable properly?
>
>I want to take the APPLESHARE traffic off net 130.102.128 and onto
>a subnet 130.102.80 but can find no way to "tell" the kinetics box
>to listen on net 130.102.128 and route into this subnet.

The trick here is that you need to be running tha kip rebroadcast daemon
(~kip/etc/atalkrd) on some machine on the subnet. (The same is true of
aufs hosts, or any other kip based service.)

John Milburn
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
INTERNET:  JEMilburn@lbl.gov     UUCP: {...!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn}
DECNet:    LBL::JEMilburn        SnailMail: 1 Cyclotron Road 46-161
Ma Bell:    (415) 486-6969                   Berkeley, Ca. 94720