[comp.protocols.appletalk] Kinetics - No Competition

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (04/04/89)

David Kovar writes:

> Kerien Fitzpatrick of CMU FRC writes:
> >My general curiosity is why there aren't direct competitors
> >to Kinetics FastPath.

Well, making a FastPath clone may not be as easy as it looks (just ask
Cayman), and if I were a startup doing such a thing I'd be afraid that
at any minute Apple could squash me like a bug (er, excuse me,
"validate the market") with a product of their own.

> Cayman started with the benefit of hindsight and thus included KIP
> support from the outset

Hmm.  My impression, as of the version 1.25 software that came into my
hands recently, is that a Gatorbox will *not* communicate using
UDP-encapsulated AppleTalk (which is what Kboxes use to layer an
AppleTalk internet on top of an existing IP internet).  This makes it
less than useful in our environment, where we have 130 existing boxes
that we would like to communicate with in this way.  Has this changed?

> And, at the moment, we're having an odd problem with a bad interaction
> between a FastPath running KIP and a GatorBox that causes a broadcast
> storm that, in turn, kills the GatorBox

We've observed an unfortunate interaction when a Gatorbox is added to
an Ethernet with existing Kboxes that causes Mac/IP to stop working
for all LocalTalk users of any of the boxes (the Gatorbox responds to
an IPADDRESS lookup that it shouldn't).  Have others experienced this,
or seen a fix?

> Before you run out and buy a GatorBox, keep in mind that I am in the
> advantageous position of being right down the street from Cayman.

Well, it's curious to think that in this age of megabit national
networks and toll-free hotlines that it should matter who you're down
the street from, but gosh, I've had just the reverse experience with
Kinetics and Cayman (Kinetics helpful, Cayman "interesting" *8^)*.
Maybe it's just another EastCoast/WestCoast culture clash . . .

Of course, now that Novell has gobbled up Excelan/Kinetics, 3Com will
no doubt be obliged to scarf up Cayman, and all hell will break loose.
Are you ready for FastPathWare and 3Gators? *8^)*

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford