[comp.protocols.appletalk] GaterCap?

benson@odi.UUCP (Benson Margulies) (04/05/89)

Has anyone made cap50 run across a GatorBox?

--
Benson I. Margulies	odi!benson@talcott.harvard.edu

corwin@daedalus.UUCP (-David C. Kovar) (04/06/89)

  Works fine. Or, at least, PAP works fine, which means everything below
it does. I've not tried using aufs, though. No need to.

-David Kovar

tharen@bold1.gatech.edu (Tharen Debold) (04/06/89)

  We use AUFS thru a GatorBox here, and get very good performance.  Talking
from our Mac II's to a SUN 4 file server, it's about 3 times faster using
AUFS thru a GatorBox than over a FastPath 2, and about 3 times faster using
AUFS on the GatorBox rather than using NFS.

Tharen D. Debold
Office of Computing Services, Georgia Tech, Atlanta Georgia, 30332-0275
tharen@bold1.gatech.edu    ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!bold1!tharen

moyman@AQUARIUM.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Mike "appletalk" MacMoya) (04/07/89)

--- Your mail message of: Thursday, 04/06/89 ---

   From:  prism!tharen%bold1.gatech.edu@gatech.edu  (Tharen Debold)
   Subject:  Re: GaterCap?

   We use AUFS thru a GatorBox here, and get very good performance.  Talking
   from our Mac II's to a SUN 4 file server, it's about 3 times faster using
   AUFS thru a GatorBox than over a FastPath 2, and about 3 times faster using
   AUFS on the GatorBox rather than using NFS.

   Tharen D. Debold

--- end of mail message ---

I have no doubt the GatorBox is faster, however, comparing it to a
FastPath *2* is not very fair, especially with a Sun 4 as the server.
I compared the GatorBox NFS with Aufs through a FastPath *4* and found
the GatorBox to be *a hare* slower.  This wasjust *single* user
however, how their performance compares in traffic is another
story...*that* I will post later...

In addition, I think you will find the performance of the Fastpath 2 to
increase a fair amount if you slow the packets down coming from the Sun 4
(aufs -S option) its just to fast a machine for a lowly old FastPath 2...

Mike Moya                                       moyman@ee.ecn.purdue.edu
Engineering Computer Network                    moyman!pur-ee
Purdue University