[comp.protocols.appletalk] Kinetics KFPS4/CAP/KSTAR comments

moyman@AQUARIUM.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Mike "appletalk" MacMoya) (04/07/89)

--- Your message of: Thursday, 04/06/89 ---

   From:  steph@cs.ucla.edu
   Subject:  Kinetics KFPS4/CAP/KSTAR comments

    I noticed a problem with KFPS2's running KIP and subnetted hosts. I had
   problems with a host on another subnet not being able to 'see' LW's
   connected to a KFPS2. The same host could see LW's connected via a
KFPS4        okay. If anybody has any thoughts let me know.

   Stephen Sakamoto
   (213) 825-2145

--- end of message ---

...If you have a FastPath 4(KSTAR)
serving one zone and a fastpath 3or2or1(KIP) serving another you get
the following behavior:  *any* macintosh device will not be seen
between the the two zones.  However, looking from the chooser, within
the Fastpath 4 zone (into the FastPath 3or2or1 zone) will let you see
any CAP "type" device, Aufs servers, lwsrv spoolers... using the CAP
utility atlook from a UNIX host(within k-4 zone) with also show only
CAP type devices in the k-3or2or1 zone.  Now looking the other way,
from k-3 to k-4 will show *NOTHING* no CAP no macintosh no nothing!  It
wasn't always like that (going from k3or2or1 to a k-4), you used to be
able to see the CAP type devices, that was wiped out with the latest
prom, pal, and code change. In addition, one thing I noticed from the
"atlook" utility, is that k-4's running KSTAR do not show up as an
IPGATEWAY (like a the fastpath 3or2or1(KIP) does).  atlook calls the
k-4 an IPADDRESS as if it were just a mac "telnet"ing through the
ethernet...I have told kinetics about all of this, but have had no
solution offered as yet...

Mike Moya                                      moyman@ee.ecn.purdue.edu
Engineering Computer Network                   moyman!pur-ee
Purdue University