[comp.protocols.appletalk] direct KIP Ethernet access

gus@frame.UUCP (Gus Fernandez) (04/07/89)

Has anyone written a device driver, perhaps a network adev which allows Mac
II's directly connected to the Ethernet via Appl/3Com EtherTalk cards to
directly send and receive KIP packets from a UNIX host running CAP without
going through a KPFS or GatorBox gateway? This would avoid the extra traffic
of the gateway acting as a middleman simply to convert KIP-style packets
to EtherTalk and back.

quent@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Quent Johnson) (04/08/89)

In article <3061@frame.UUCP> gus@frame.com () writes:
>Has anyone written a device driver, perhaps a network adev which allows Mac
>II's directly connected to the Ethernet via Appl/3Com EtherTalk cards to
>directly send and receive KIP packets from a UNIX host running CAP without
>going through a KPFS or GatorBox gateway?....

I was wondering similar thoughts.  I just connected a mac with a Kinetics
EtherPort interface to our department ethernet and would really like
to have LaserWriter output appear on the LaserWriter that's attached
via RS-232 to our VAX.  Today I learned about CAP but was unhappy to
find that it only works through a gateway!  Are there any other solutions?

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (04/08/89)

> Has anyone written a device driver, perhaps a network adev which
> allows Mac II's directly connected to the Ethernet via Appl/3Com
> EtherTalk cards to directly send and receive KIP packets from a UNIX
> host running CAP without going through a KPFS or GatorBox gateway?....

I believe that Kinetics has mumbled in public that they have such a
beast working.  I aint seen it though.  Perhaps a flood of phone calls
would convince them they should "productize" it.

By the way, I like the name that they (as far as I know) coined for
the UDP-encapsulated AppleTalk format: "IPTalk".  I encourage its use
by the community.  I hope it's not (tm).

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford