[comp.protocols.appletalk] Kinetics Fastpath-4

PMGREEN@SUVM.ACS.SYR.EDU (Philip Green) (04/06/89)

The last three Fastpath-4s we have received have not worked.
Two of them reset at random intervals and the third does not
work at all. Is anyone else having these quality problems?

Phil Green
Syracuse University

glen@aecom.YU.EDU (Glen M. Marianko) (04/07/89)

> The last three Fastpath-4s we have received have not worked.
> Two of them reset at random intervals and the third does not
> work at all. Is anyone else having these quality problems?
>
> Phil Green
> Syracuse University

Phil, I can identify entirely and have pity.  I bought 2 KFPS-4s in
December, they came late January.  One locked after 2 hours use,
so I sent it back to be "repaired" - THEY WOULD NOT REPLACE IT OUT
OF STOCK!  Before that one arrived back, the second one bellied-up
losing its programming and resetting.  Well, this time I yelled
LOUD for several weeks until I finally got a replacement out of
stock.  Well, guess what... yep, DOA.  By this time the first one
came back and has worked since like a champ.  Tech support, realizing
a pattern is developing here, got a factory box and burned it in
before sending it to me - took 2-1/2 months to get my two KFPS-4s
working.  I was so incensed during all this that I sent out an
order to Cayman - still haven't gotten one yet, but we'll see if
it's worth the wait.

Seems like kinetics is having some quality control problems.  The
tech support guy mentioned a power harness inside the KFPS-4 that
should now be tie-wrapped down to prevent falling out during
shipment.  Mine were all tied down, so I guess there is some bum
chip going in.

Just keep at it - good luck!

-- Glen Marianko, Supervisor of Data Communications
   glen@aecom.yu.edu

hpoppe@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (04/07/89)

In article <Added.4YCa2Sy00Ui38D=095@andrew.cmu.edu> PMGREEN@SUVM.ACS.SYR.EDU (Philip Green) writes:
>The last three Fastpath-4s we have received have not worked.
>Two of them reset at random intervals and the third does not
>work at all. Is anyone else having these quality problems?
>
>Phil Green
>Syracuse University

There is a problem (which Kinetics is aware of) with the connector
that supplies power to the main logic board. This connector must be firmly
seated; otherwise, the logic board doesn't get its power. Kinetics sent
us a little cable tie to fasten it down (although our tech fixed the
problem in his own way before the tie arrived). Hopefully, Kinetics will
change their supplier.

Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET
		Boulder, CO  80307               UUCP: hpoppe@ncar.UUCP

moyman@AQUARIUM.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Mike "appletalk" MacMoya) (04/07/89)

--- Your message of: Wednesday, 04/05/89 ---

   From:  Philip Green <PMGREEN@suvm.acs.syr.edu>
   Subject:    Kinetics Fastpath-4

   The last three Fastpath-4s we have received have not worked.
   Two of them reset at random intervals and the third does not
   work at all. Is anyone else having these quality problems?

   Phil Green
   Syracuse University

--- end of message ---

Ha!  I started with 5 FastPath 4's last Summer!, two PROM and code changes
(and a new pal) later...of those five two have been sent back for repair.
All 5 now work but still are not compatible with the rest of the FastPath
line (KIP-KSTAR problems)...which my users are getting *very* irate about.
I had recieved an additional 3 this winter and have had no *hardware*
problems with those...I am *still* waiting on a KIP-KSTAR friendship.

One thing I would like to know is how will the Merger of Novell and
Excelan effect Kinetics...

Mike Moya                                  moyman@ee.ecn.purdue.edu
Engineering Computer Network               moyman!pur-ee
Purdue University

boerner@ut-emx.UUCP (Brendan B. Boerner) (04/08/89)

In article <Added.4YCa2Sy00Ui38D=095@andrew.cmu.edu> PMGREEN@SUVM.ACS.SYR.EDU (Philip Green) writes:
>The last three Fastpath-4s we have received have not worked.
>Two of them reset at random intervals and the third does not
>work at all. Is anyone else having these quality problems?
>
>Phil Green
>Syracuse University

We were having the same problem with our Fastpath 4, that is, it would
work for awhile, then reset itself.  Sometimes the 3 lights on the
front panel would flash in strange patterns, sometimes all three would
come on and stay on.  I called Kinetics tech support and was told to
send it in, apparently some of the boxes which were sent out had some
sort of problem which the support person I talked to did not go into.
Give them a call and see if they think you are having the same
problem.

Brendan