[comp.protocols.appletalk] Kinetics KSTAR -- KIP compatibility

farrell@EREBUS.STANFORD.EDU (Phil Farrell) (04/11/89)

Mike Moya (moyman@ee.ecn.purdue.edu) writes:
  > ...If you have a FastPath 4(KSTAR)
  > serving one zone and a fastpath 3or2or1(KIP) serving another you get
  > the following behavior:  *any* macintosh device will not be seen
  > between the the two zones.  However, looking from the chooser, within
  > the Fastpath 4 zone (into the FastPath 3or2or1 zone) will let you see
  > any CAP "type" device, Aufs servers, lwsrv spoolers... using the CAP
  > utility atlook from a UNIX host(within k-4 zone) with also show only
  > CAP type devices in the k-3or2or1 zone.  Now looking the other way,
  > from k-3 to k-4 will show *NOTHING* no CAP no macintosh no nothing!  It
  > wasn't always like that (going from k3or2or1 to a k-4), you used to be
  > able to see the CAP type devices, that was wiped out with the latest
  > prom, pal, and code change. In addition, one thing I noticed from the
  > "atlook" utility, is that k-4's running KSTAR do not show up as an
  > IPGATEWAY (like a the fastpath 3or2or1(KIP) does).  atlook calls the
  > k-4 an IPADDRESS as if it were just a mac "telnet"ing through the
  > ethernet...I have told kinetics about all of this, but have had no
  > solution offered as yet...

This is not my experience.  I have KFPS-1,2,3s running KIP (9/87 version,
I believe) in AppleTalk zone "GEO", several UNIX hosts with CAP (still
version 4.0) also in zone "GEO" and a KFPS-4 running K-STAR (version 4.1,
also PROM 4.1) in zone "SRB".  My UNIX hosts cannot see any of the devices
on the LocalTalk net connected to the KFPS-4 serving the "other" zone
(SRB).  Other than that, however, we have complete interconnectivity between
the zones, contrary to Mike's experience.  That is, a Macintosh on either
zone can see the LaserWriters in the other zone, and both zones can see
the UNIX CAP processes.