[comp.protocols.appletalk] MAC/IP

davef@Jessica.stanford.edu (David Finkelstein) (04/01/89)

SU-Mac/IP comes with an application called Custom.  Custom creates a
file called netdev.sys, which must be in the same folder as SU-Mac/IP
or in the system folder.

You use Custom to tell Mac/IP what type of connection to use: Kbox
with KIP, Kbox with Kinetics code, or Ethernet.  If you select
Ethernet, Mac/IP will use the Ethertalk board *even if* you've got the
control panel set to built-in.

If you don't have a netdev.sys file (e.g. you don't run Custom) then
Mac/IP assumes you're using a kbox with KIP.  So if you have a mac
connected to Localtalk, you don't have to run custom to get Mac/IP
working -- Custom is useful if you want to set a static IP address or
have Mac/IP use an Ethertalk board.

Questions about SU-Mac/IP can be directed to macip@jessica.stanford.edu.

David Finkelstein
Academic Information Resources
Stanford University

kdb@lts.UUCP (Kurt D. Baumann) (04/13/89)

In article <752@kinetics.UUCP> minshall@kinetics.UUCP (Greg Minshall) writes:
>From article <JH.89Mar31083358@tikka.tut.fi>, by jh@tut.fi (Juha Hein{nen):
>> I'm also interested in this.  Doesn't Apple officially support
>> Ethernet connection with TCP-IP and if so which Mac models from Mac SE
>
>Apple has announced (but, to my knowledge not shipped) support for TCP/IP.
>The product (MacTCP, or some such) allows developers to write TCP/IP
>applications.  This should work over the "Apple" ethernet board, as well
>
>Apple has not, to my knowledge, announced or shipped any "end user" products.
>
>Kinetics has announced and shipped TCP/IP for Macs (both end user products
>and a developer's library).  It works over all the above connectivity choices.
>
>Greg Minshall			1-415-947-0998
>Kinetics

Apple is shipping (as of April 1) MacTCP.  TCP/IP drivers for the Mac, which
you can get by either contacting their licensing group or by purchasing a
commercial product from a developer who has licensed them from Apple.

Yes, as far as I know Apple is not shipping any user applications either.

I don't know who all has licensed the drivers yet, so I don't know what
commercial products will ship with the drivers.  I do know that we have a
version of our product TCP/Connect that is currently running over them, and as
soon as we can get the licensing issue taken care of we intend to ship that
version.  If you have specific questions about any of the above drop me a
note and I will let you know what I can.

Kurt Baumann
InterCon Systems Corporation

703.450.7117 or 703.435.8170		AppleLink: D1988
--
Kurt Baumann			...!uunet!lts!kdb / lts!kdb@uunet.uu.net
			  InterCon, 11732 Bowman Green Drive, Reston, VA 22090

zeke@wilbur.unix.ETA.COM (Robert K. Scott) (04/13/89)

Since there has been some discussion of TCP/IP products for Macintosh,
I would like to know if there are any other public domain products
for the Macintosh besides NCSA Telnet.  Just curious to try anything
else out, you know.  Products should work on an Ethernet card, not
across Appletalk to a bridge.

On the subject of commercial TELNET/FTP products, could I ask that anyone
who knows of an <EXISTING> or <VERY SOON TO BE EXISTING> TELNET/TCP
implementation please send me email with a description of the product
and (if you know) how to contact them?  I would like to do a survey
to determine which products to try here at my company, because we
are getting a few more Macs connected to our Ethernet and I would
like to sniff out some of the best products.  I will summarize for
the net if I get enough responses.

Extra zesty disclaimer:  MINE! MINE! ALL MINE! <chortle snort froth drool>

Robert K. "Zeke" Scott        internet: zeke@sunfun.eta.com
voice: (612) 642-3493         uucp: {amdahl,rutgers}!bungia!eta!sunfun!zeke
snail: ETA Systems, Inc. ETC03J, 1450 Energy Park Drive, St. Paul, MN  55108

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (04/14/89)

My own TELNET/FTP/modem terminal program, TOPS Terminal, is supposedly
available from OSU, but TOPS refuses to tell me any details as to how
they are distributing the product I worked for two and a half years to
create.  It is supposedly controlled freeware.  It comes with a very
robust TCP/IP protocol suite which loads at INIT time and is accessible
through a glue library.  The interface is based on the recommended TCP
and IP interfaces in the defining RFCs.  It's compatible with
Appletalk, Ethernet, and modems (though it doesn't do SLIP -- it has a
conventional view of the modem, implementing XMODEM and ordinary
full-duplex terminal services).  It will work with or without KIP, and
comes with a CDEV called Kipper that lets a Mac act as a KIP server
even when the gateway runs pre-KIP software.

It also has a script language, graph structutred on-line documentation,
a built-in text editor, OS-independent control characters, and a slew
of other nifty features, and has been the subject of innumerable hours
of quality assurance testing.

Call TOPS for more information, and if you find out anything, please
let me know.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"Everything that gives us pleasure gives us pain to measure it by."