[comp.protocols.appletalk] Appletalk printer code

rcb@cccvs1.ncsu.edu (Randy Buckland) (04/13/89)

Does anyone know of any code that would allow an ethernet connected host
to talk to an appletalk connected laserwriter in the same fashion as
a Mac on ethernet can do. This assumes either a kinetics or gatorbox
connecting ethernet to appletalk. VMS or unix, free or $$$, anything will
do.

Randy Buckland
rcb@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

nigel@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk (Nigel Cliffe) (04/14/89)

In article <2827@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, rcb@cccvs1.ncsu.edu (Randy Buckland) writes:
> Does anyone know of any code that would allow an ethernet connected host
> to talk to an appletalk connected laserwriter in the same fashion as
> a Mac on ethernet can do. This assumes either a kinetics or gatorbox
> connecting ethernet to appletalk. VMS or unix, free or $$$, anything will
> do.

According to our documentation TOPS supports this feature ,but we can't
get it to work when our appletalk cable is in a different zone to our
ethernet :-(.
Anyone know what we're doing wrong? (UK Tops distributor hasn't helped us much).

Nigel Cliffe.

viraf@GWUSUN.GWU.EDU (Viraf Bankwalla) (04/14/89)

> Does anyone know of any code that would allow an ethernet connected host
> to talk to an appletalk connected laserwriter in the same fashion as
> a Mac on ethernet can do. This assumes either a kinetics or gatorbox
> connecting ethernet to appletalk. VMS or unix, free or $$$, anything will
> do.
>
> Randy Buckland
> rcb@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

Hi,

  If you have a Kinetics FastPath 4, you may use CAPS (which is public
domain), or if you wish you may purchase KSpool.

  We at The George Washington University are using KSpool (from Kinetics).
I have CAPS software, and am looking at switching to it, as we have the
source code, and may easily customize it for our use.

					 	viraf bankwalla
						viraf@gwusun.gwu.edu
						uunet!gwusun!viraf

moyman@AQUARIUM.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Mike "appletalk" MacMoya) (04/14/89)

--- Your mail of: Wednesday, 04/12/89 ---

   From:  cccvs1.ncsu.edu!rcb@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu  (Randy Buckland)
   Subject:  Appletalk printer code

   Does anyone know of any code that would allow an ethernet connected host
   to talk to an appletalk connected laserwriter in the same fashion as
   a Mac on ethernet can do. This assumes either a kinetics or gatorbox
   connecting ethernet to appletalk. VMS or unix, free or $$$, anything will
   do.

   Randy Buckland
   rcb@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

--- end of mail ---

CAP's papif willl allow you to set up an appletalk laserwriter to spool
off a UNIX host.  You could then use lpr to print to it from any "dumb"
terminal on your network.  In addition, to have any "mac-sent" jobs to
spool off that same UNIX host, you can set up CAP's lwsrv. Anonymous
ftp to cunixc.columbia.edu will get you the CAP package...

--moya
moyman@degree.ecn.purdue.edu