[comp.protocols.appletalk] Telnet for PC via Appletalk interface?

cordy@qucis.queensu.CA (Jim Cordy) (04/13/89)

We have a couple of PC's with Appletalk cards in them.
We'd like to be able to FTP to/from them to other machines,
but the NCSA Telnet software for PC's seems to only support
ethernet interfaces on the PC.  Does anyone know of a
Telnet implementation that can handle an Apple Appletalk/PC
interface?

Thanks
Jim Cordy	cordy@qucis.queensu.ca
		cordy@qucis.bitnet

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (04/14/89)

In article <184@qusunitf.queensu.CA> cordy@qucis.queensu.CA (Jim Cordy) writes:
>We have a couple of PC's with Appletalk cards in them.
>We'd like to be able to FTP to/from them to other machines,
>but the NCSA Telnet software for PC's seems to only support
>ethernet interfaces on the PC.  Does anyone know of a
>Telnet implementation that can handle an Apple Appletalk/PC
>interface?

Yes, Brent Noorda implemented a TELNET for the PC that does this at
TOPS last year.  It's not very full featured but does appear to be
robust and efficient.  TOPS drove Brent away as well through its
antihumanistic policies, and then sat on his work, so I don't think
it's available.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"The Diabolonian position is new to the London playgoer of today, but not to

amanda@lts.UUCP (Amanda Walker) (04/14/89)

In article <184@qusunitf.queensu.CA> cordy@qucis.queensu.CA (Jim Cordy) writes:
>We have a couple of PC's with Appletalk cards in them.
>We'd like to be able to FTP to/from them to other machines,
>but the NCSA Telnet software for PC's seems to only support
>ethernet interfaces on the PC.  Does anyone know of a
>Telnet implementation that can handle an Apple Appletalk/PC
>interface?

Well, I don't know of any free ones off hand (although Clarkson University
has been doing some interesting stuff with PC NCSA Telnet).  Our company
sells a commercial product based on NCSA Telnet that will work over
Apple, TOPS, or DayStar LocalTalk boards (and should, in fact, work with
any other board that comes with an Apple-compatible AppleTalk driver).
It'll do vt220 emulation (including full DMCS if you've got an EGA or
VGA) and tn3270, in addition to all of the features of NCSA's version.
For more information or pricing, contact:

	InterCon Systems Corporation
	46950 Community Plaza, Suite 101-132		<-- new address
	Sterling, VA 22170				<-- new city
	(703) 450-7117					<-- new phone
	FAX (703) 437-3454				<-- new FAX #

Disclaimer: not only am I employed by InterCon, I wrote the LocalTalk
support for the PC version.

--
Amanda Walker <amanda@lts.UUCP>
InterCon Systems Corporation
--
"A keyboard ... how quaint!"  -- Scotty, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

ddl@husc6.harvard.edu (Dan Lanciani) (04/21/89)

In article <184@qusunitf.queensu.CA>, cordy@qucis.queensu.CA (Jim Cordy) writes:
>  Does anyone know of a
> Telnet implementation that can handle an Apple Appletalk/PC
> interface?

	I wrote an AppleTalk driver for PC/IP.  It is included in the
distribution available for anonymous ftp from husc6.harvard.edu and works
with both the TOPS and Apple cards.  Of course, PC/IP doesn't have an ftp,
only tftp, telnet, and such.  I believe Stanford uses the same driver
in their SU/IP package (which must have an ftp) but I have never seen
their package.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@harvard.*