[comp.protocols.appletalk] Need syntax of Appletalk names

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) (04/25/89)

  I've recently changed the type of some of our laser printers from
LaserWriter to LaserSpooler, so that papif and lwsrv can see the printers,
but a Mac cannot.  I would like the cap program 'atlooklws' to be able
to get a status report from those printers as well.  I could modify the
code to look for LS instead of LW, but then I won't be able to see regular
LaserWriters.
  What I would like to do is set up a wildcard, so the program looks for
the equivelent of "Laser*", resulting in both LaserWriter and LaserSpooler
(or whatever suffix I want to give it) being found.  It seems that the
characters '=' and '*' are already reserved as some type of global wildcards,
ie. '=:=' means find all devices of all types.  Is there a similar syntax
for what I want to do?

						Jeff White
						University of Pennsylvania
						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

inei@cs.glasgow.ac.UK (Nick Nei) (04/26/89)

Jeff White writes:

> I've recently changed the type of some of our laser printers from
> LaserWriter to LaserSpooler, so that papif and lwsrv can see the printers,
> but a Mac cannot. [...]

We do the same here in Glasgow: in fact I incorporate non-printable
ASCII in the name.  I don't use atlooklws but use atlook.  I think
it will be easier to modify atlook, and ignore anything that does
start with "laser".

Nick Nei.