[comp.protocols.appletalk] NCSA Telnet and Screen savers

jeffc@leda (Jeff Currier) (04/26/89)

I know this has been talked about before, but I have a new twist.
I have a MacIIx with a ethernet board and a Mac SE with a
Kinetics ether card.  I have tried several screen savers
(flex,m0ire,ect) and all of these seen to cause the SE to hang when NCSA
Telnet is running with open connections.  On the other hand, the MAC IIx
has no trouble.  At first, I thought this might be because of the memory
manager on the IIx, but now I beleive this is due to the way the
hardware is connected.  I am not a computer hardware person, but
the SE ether card is connected to the port and the IIx is
not, so does the configeration of the IIX respond the the packets set by
the connected hosts differently than the SE.  If the IIx's board can
respond to packest even when other applications are running, this could
explain why is doesn't hang.  on the other hand, the SE card may not
respond to packets when other applications are running.  Is any of this
correct?  Is there a way to have the SE keep connections alive even when
a screen saver is running?
Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Jeff Currier  (602)621-4948
Computational Fluid Mechanics Lab
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721
Reply to: currier@rvax.ccit.arizona.edu

inei@cs.glasgow.ac.UK (Nick Nei) (04/27/89)

Jeff Currier writes:

> I have tried several screen savers (flex,m0ire,ect) and all of these
> cause the SE to hang when NCSA Telnet is running with open connections.

You might have an old version of flex or moire.  The latest version
of moire (v 2.22) does not hand NCSA telnet.  The old version used to,
unless you are running multifinder and NCSA telnet is not foreground
process.

Mail:	Nick Nei, Computing Science Dept.,
	Glasgow Univ., 17 Lilybank Gardens,
      	Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK.  Tel: (041) 339 8855 x 5457
ARPA:	inei%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk USENET: inei@cs.glasgow.uucp