[comp.protocols.appletalk] CAP/macdumpmgr problem

irene@epistemi.ed.ac.uk (Irene Orr) (04/25/89)

I am running CAP 5.0; since we have recently aquired a no. of Macs with
hard disks, I want to switch from running macdump on a demand-driven basis
to using macdumpmgr & dumping to tape via UNIX. However, every time I run
"macdumpmgr -clean" it dumps core (segmentation fault).  Nothing leaps
to the eye as being wrong in the code.  Is there anyone out
there running this, and does it work ok? Is there anyone out there who has
had this problem too? please respond by e-mail, as I don't read this group
as regularly as I should,
Thanks,
Irene Orr
(irene@epistemi.ed.ac.uk)

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) (04/26/89)

  I just also picked up the code, and I have a problem and a question about it.
First, I tried it on my IIx with an 80 Mbyte hard disk, about 61.5 Mb used and
15.5 M free at the time of the backup (not sure where the remaining space is.
Macdump created a backup file that was over 98 Mbytes.  Since I assume it is
only backing up the actual files (as opposed to trying to do an image backup
of the disk), this amounts to a 3:2 increase in file size (98:61).  Is there
a reason for this?
  Second, it is possible to select individual files and/or folders to be backed
up?  In real life there are usually only a specific group of files (letters,
reports, etc.) which need to be backed up.  Even though the next incremental
should be much smaller, most systems don't have enough free space to handle the
initial full backup (I got lukcy we had an empty partition).  If this could
be done, it would certainly make the program more useful.

						Jeff White
						University of Pennsylvania
						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

inei@cs.glasgow.ac.UK (Nick Nei) (04/27/89)

Irene Orr writes:

> every time I run "macdumpmgr -clean" it dumps core (segmentation fault).

It core dumps at line 847 of macdumpmgr.c when it is checking for
a matching day of week.  A case of careless coding.  I am desperately
tight for time and can't fix it (yet).  Does anyone in the world
have a fix?

Mail:	Nick Nei, Computing Science Dept.,
	Glasgow Univ., 17 Lilybank Gardens,
      	Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK.  Tel: (041) 339 8855 x 5457
ARPA:	inei%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk USENET: inei@cs.glasgow.uucp

tappan@bbn.com (Dan Tappan) (04/27/89)

In article <12951.8904270005@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> inei@cs.glasgow.ac.UK (Nick Nei) writes:
>Irene Orr writes:
>
>> every time I run "macdumpmgr -clean" it dumps core (segmentation fault).
>
>It core dumps at line 847 of macdumpmgr.c when it is checking for
>a matching day of week.  A case of careless coding.  I am desperately
>tight for time and can't fix it (yet).  Does anyone in the world
>have a fix?

Do you have the latest version? (probably not, because that code has moved
to 'macdumplib.c') I don't think that that bug still exists.

inei@cs.glasgow.ac.UK (Nick Nei) (04/29/89)

>>> every time I run "macdumpmgr -clean" it dumps core (segmentation fault).
>>
>>It core dumps at line 847 of macdumpmgr.c when it is checking for
>>a matching day of week.  A case of careless coding.  I am desperately
>>tight for time and can't fix it (yet).  Does anyone in the world
>>have a fix?

Dan Tappan replies:

>Do you have the latest version? (probably not, because that code has moved
>to 'macdumplib.c') I don't think that that bug still exists.

I don't even know a new version exists - probably because it takes so
long for news to reach this side of the Atlantic.

Can someone offer to send me a copy?  If it is not already on this side
of the Atlantic, I am willing to redistribute.