[comp.protocols.appletalk] CAP and internet addresses with more than 8 bits in host part

jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) (05/03/89)

I've just installed CAP here at Waterloo (it's terrific by the way - and
that Configure script is incredible) and I've run into a problem on our
main ethernet with the internet addresses we use.

We have a class B network, subnetted, with a netmask of 0xFFFFFE00
i.e. we use the last 9 bits for the host part.  One of our hosts is
129.97.128.24 and another is 129.97.129.21.  Now I have cap working
just fine on the host 129.97.128.24 i.e. where the last 8 bits is
equal to the actual host part because the 9th bit is 0.  I've run into
problems with the other host though.  atis seems to start up okay,
but aufs fails with the message "SrvrRegister for <hostname> Aufs
failed...".  I tried the atalk.local file with the node number as the
last 8 bits, and as the last 9 bits (i.e. 277), but both seemed to
result in the same failure.

Is there a way around this problem?  My guess might be that something
in the cap code is generating an address by taking the network part
and adding the node number to it, missing the high bit of the host part.
But I'm not quite sure where to start looking.  I didn't see anything
to indicate that the UNIX node numbering in atalk.local is a necessity
rather than a convention.  Thanks for any help you can give.

John Sellens
University of Waterloo
jmsellens@dragon.waterloo.edu

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (05/09/89)

In article <13561@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) writes:

> We have a class B network, subnetted, with a netmask of 0xFFFFFE00
> i.e. we use the last 9 bits for the host part.  One of our hosts is
> 129.97.128.24 and another is 129.97.129.21.  Now I have cap working

Read the "broadcast" file in the KIP docs - it tells you about this.

You actually have _TWO_ KIP networks here, both on the same
cable. One has the IP Net-number of 129.97.128, and the other
129.97.129. Pretend they're separated by a bridge, put two "H" entries
into atalkatab, and put one kbox on each "network" (give one an IP
number of ...128.xx and the other ...129.xx). Make each kbox the
rebroadcast server for its (AppleTalk-in-IP) net. If you only have one
kbox, run atalkrd on something, rebroadcasting for the "other" net.
Leave both "nets" in the same Zone or something weird might happen??
There's about a 1-in-4 chance this makes sense - I'm learning.

Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz
Webster Computer Corp P/L
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd
Scoresby VIC 3179    Australia