[comp.protocols.appletalk] Remote Bridge at full Appletalk speed?

lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) (05/16/89)

I was wondering if anyone knew of a Appletalk bridge that supports speeds of
over 19.2 K baud.  We are going to be running our existing Appletalk
network to a remote site over a microwave link and it would be nice to not
bottleneck the Appletalk system with a 19.2K baud modem bridge.  Actually,
something that support the full 230K baud would be preferred.

Thanks

Greg DeMichillie               *          Apple Student Rep - UC Davis
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu      *          AppleLink : ST0178

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.

schmidt@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Schmidt) (05/17/89)

	At MacWorld Expo in San Francisco back in January, a company named
DataSpace in Markham, Ontario (416) 474-0113, Applelink D0373, claimed that in
90 days they would have a 230.4 Kb version of their "Telenode," which is like
a Shiva X-232 box.  Their intended market is military folks who would hook
this Telenode to a spread-spectrum frequency hopping radio transceiver they
also sell.  The Telenode is about $1000, I think.  I know nothing about the
company.
--Christopher

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (05/17/89)

In article <4316@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu (Greg DeMichillie) writes:
> I was wondering if anyone knew of a Appletalk bridge that supports speeds of
> over 19.2 K baud.  We are going to be running our existing Appletalk
> network to a remote site over a microwave link and it would be nice to not
> bottleneck the Appletalk system with a 19.2K baud modem bridge.  Actually,
> something that support the full 230K baud would be preferred.

Hmmm.  I haven't seen any asynch-based half-bridges that will push bits
anywhere near that fast... async runs out of steam at about 56
kbits/sec, and the fastest halfbridges I've seen mentioned don't seem to
run their serial ports at over 19200 bits/sec.

If your microwave link has a _very_ high bandwidth, I suppose you could
use a Kinetics FastPath (KFPS-4 perhaps) at either end of the link, and
push bits across the bridge at EtherNet speeds.  At 10 megabits/second,
I doubt that the bridge-to-bridge protocol would be the bottleneck!

I suppose what you really need is a LocalTalk halfbridge that talks T-1
speeds between the halfbridges... T-1 microwave links are (I'm pretty
sure) an off-the-shelf item, and the bandwidth of a T-1 link exceeds
that of a LocalTalk net by a comfortable margin.  I haven't heard of any
such halfbridges, though.  Maybe a pair of FastPaths, plus a pair of T-1
EtherNet half-bridges?  Not cheap, I'm afraid.

At last January's MacWorld Expo in San Francisco, I saw a company
offering a digital-packet-radio-based LocalTalk bridge.  Range was about
4 miles, as I recall... cost was in the $5000 range for a pair of
transceivers.  I didn't save the literature, I'm afraid.

--
Dave Platt    FIDONET:  Dave Platt on 1:204/444        VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt     DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com