[comp.protocols.appletalk] Mac-Unix SMTP/POP2 E-mail package

fxa@BERLIN.ACSS.UMN.EDU ("Farhad Anklesaria") (05/17/89)

Some news on Macintosh E-Mail:

We have developed a package for sending and receiving SMTP
mail to/from Macs on AppleTalk networks.  The package is in
two parts: a front-end HyperCard stack that runs on the
Macintosh and a back-end Post Office Protocol (POP2) server
that runs on a Unix machine. If your Macs are connected to
an AppleTalk network you must have a Kinetics fastpath to
gateway between the AppleTalk network and the ethernet that
your Unix host resides on. If your Mac is connected directly
to ethernet, you don't need a fastpath.

Each incoming mail message is added to the HyperCard mail stack
as a new card. You compose outgoing mail from within the stack as
well. With HyperCard we were able to design a really accessible
user interface. The true test of a mail system's user interface
is to try to get administrators and their secretaries to use it.
By this measure the mail stack is a success; the top 50 administrators
(Deans, the Provost, the President, and Vice Presidents) at the
University are happily using this stack for e-mail. Unlike some of
the mainframe-based e-mail solutions that were tried here in the past,
the HyperCard stack is being used daily by non-technical people.

The stack should be a fairly general solution to the "I want SMTP
mail for my Mac" problem. The HyperCard stack talks to ANY
Unix machine that has the sendmail and POP2 services. There are
two versions of the HyperCard stack: one is built on top of
the University of Michigan's CITI Mac/IP package, and the other
is designed to use Apple's MacTCP package.

Michigan's Mac/IP drivers are public domain, so everything is
free (the TCP drivers, the HyperCardStack, and the POP2 server).
Unfortunately, the combination of HyperCard and the Michigan Mac/IP
drivers is more than will fit in a 1MB Mac. (Perhaps an
excuse to upgrade your memory to at least 2MB?)

The HyperCard stack that works with Apple's MacTCP drivers
is also free but does not include Apple's MacTCP drivers...you
have to get the Apple TCP drivers yourself. Apple offers a
site-license for the MacTCP drivers, but it doesn't look like
we can redistribute Apple's drivers. You can get a single user
licence and copy of Apple's MacTCP drivers from APDA. Apple's
driver is small enough that the driver and the HyperCard stack
fit on a 1MB machine.

Since a Unix box functions as a mail (POP2) server, Mac users
need to have accounts on the Unix box (but need not have logins).
Since most Unix boxes come with SMTP service (sendmail), all you need
is a POP2 server... and we have a public domain version of POP2. We
chose to use POP2 because IBM distributes POP2 client software for
PCs connected to Token Ring networks that are gatewayed to ethernet,
and there is also POP2 client software for PCs connected directly to
ethernet. This means that one POP2 server can support Macs on
AppleTalk or ethernet and PCs on ethernet or Token Ring.

We are now beta testing this package.  We'll put another note on the
net when it's up for anonymous ftp.

Farhad Anklesaria                      fxa@berlin.acss.umn.edu
George Gonzalez                        grg@berlin.acss.umn.edu
Mark McCahill                          mpm@berlin.acss.umn.edu

Microcomputer and Workstation Networks Research Group
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN.        (the land of 10,000 lakes, Prince, and mosquitos)

pasek@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (05/19/89)

In article <8905162206.AA05738@berlin.acss.umn.edu> fxa@BERLIN.ACSS.UMN.EDU ("Farhad Anklesaria") writes:
>We have developed a package for sending and receiving SMTP
>mail to/from Macs on AppleTalk networks.  The package is in
>two parts: a front-end HyperCard stack that runs on the
>Macintosh and a back-end Post Office Protocol (POP2) server
>that runs on a Unix machine. If your Macs are connected to
>an AppleTalk network you must have a Kinetics fastpath to
>gateway between the AppleTalk network and the ethernet that
>your Unix host resides on. If your Mac is connected directly
>to ethernet, you don't need a fastpath.

Not being familiar with the internals of either, I need to ask:
  Would it be possible to run your mail package through a
  Cayman GatorBox to provide the LocalTalk-to-Ethernet connection ?
If you don't have one, you could check your package out on ours.....
we're not too far away.

One other question.  You mention that incoming mail just becomes another
card in the HyperCard stack.  Does that mean Hypercard must be active
in order for you to receive mail, or does your package add to the stack
independent of Hypercard ?  If so, are there potential problems if you
are traversing the stack with HyperCard while receiving mail ?

To sum up, your package sounds VERY interesting to me.

M. A. Pasek         Switching Software Development         NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668             CNG Development               2700 N. Snelling Ave.
pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM                              Roseville, MN  55113