[comp.protocols.appletalk] Mail Programs for the Mac

martin@ares.bsd.uchicago.edu (Martin Starr) (04/25/89)

Readers,

Staff members on our sole AppleTalk LAN, which is connected to a Sun
host via a FastPath 4, would like to be able to receive e-mail without
Telneting to the host. Any suggestions on how this might be easily
accomplished? It would be nice if the mail program on the Mac side
would provide notification of new mail.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Martin Starr
BSD Information Systems
University of Chicago
voice 312/702-9130
martin@ares.bsd.uchicago.edu

RSILVERMAN@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU (Richard Silverman) (04/25/89)

Martin,

	There is a public-domain implementation of POP (post office protocol)
as part of the Rand Message Handling system.  POP is a distributed mail protocol
designed to allow a larger host to collect and distribute mail for micros,
which can contact the host when they like to check their mailbox or drop
off new mail to be posted.  A mail user need not have a login account on
the POP service host; he only need be known to the POP daemon.  MH 6.6 is
available via anonymous FTP from louie.udel.edu in the directory "portal".
Stanford university has a Mac POP client application (called MacMH) to go
along with it, but that is not available without a license from them (at
a nominal fee for educational institutions).  I believe you can send e-mail
to networking@jessica.stanford.edu, or U.S. mail to Networking Systems at
Stanford.
                                                Richard Silverman

arpa:	rsilverman@eagle.wesleyan.edu           Computing Center
bitnet:	rsilverman@wesleyan                     Wesleyan University
CIS:	[72727,453]                             Middletown, CT 06457

david@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (David Lassner) (04/26/89)

>Stanford university has a Mac POP client application ...

Literature from Ungermann-Bass indicates that their MacTCP product
also includes a POP client, but so far I've been unable to get any
more information from them.

lance@hermix.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) (04/26/89)

In article <8904241822.AA01574@ares.bsd.uchicago.edu>, martin@ares.bsd.uchicago.edu (Martin Starr) writes:

> Staff members on our sole AppleTalk LAN, which is connected to a Sun
> host via a FastPath 4, would like to be able to receive e-mail without
> Telneting to the host. Any suggestions on how this might be easily
> accomplished? It would be nice if the mail program on the Mac side
> would provide notification of new mail.

I too would be interested in such a program. We have a SCO Xenix box and
a Sun 3/60 and a Mac IIx. I would like to hear about such products that
will work over TCP/IP instead of AppleTalk though.

Lance Ellinghouse

--
Lance Ellinghouse
Mark V Systems, Ltd.

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (04/27/89)

In article <185@hermix.UUCP> lance@hermix.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) writes:
 -In article <8904241822.AA01574@ares.bsd.uchicago.edu>, martin@ares.bsd.uchicago.edu (Martin Starr) writes:
 --
 -- Staff members on our sole AppleTalk LAN, which is connected to a Sun
 -- host via a FastPath 4, would like to be able to receive e-mail without
 -- Telneting to the host. Any suggestions on how this might be easily
 -I too would be interested in such a program. We have a SCO Xenix box and
 -a Sun 3/60 and a Mac IIx. I would like to hear about such products that
 -will work over TCP/IP instead of AppleTalk though.

StarNine (Berkeley CA - (415)548-0391) have a QuickMail to UnixMail gateway
product which maybe just what you want - give them a call

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell
Taniwha Systems Design			UUCP:		..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul

newsuser@LTH.Se (LTH network news server) (04/30/89)

In article <8904241822.AA01574@ares.bsd.uchicago.edu> martin@ares.bsd.uchicago.edu (Martin Starr) writes:
>Readers,
>
>Staff members on our sole AppleTalk LAN, which is connected to a Sun
>host via a FastPath 4, would like to be able to receive e-mail without
>Telneting to the host. Any suggestions on how this might be easily
>accomplished? It would be nice if the mail program on the Mac side
>would provide notification of new mail.
>
>Thanks for any and all assistance.

At Lund University Computing Center we are working on a mail system for
Macs. The text below is from the most recent issue of Wheels Europe.

-----

Electronic mail project
Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S-220 07 Lund, Sweden

This project intends to integrate Macintosh personal computers with
existing electronic mail systems at Lund University. In the near future
all employees will have electronic mail addresses and in connection with
this it is desirable that those with a Macintosh can read and write mail
using their own computers.

The goal with the project is to implement a utility to interchange
information such as messages or files between Macintoshes and other
systems. The project consists of two parts, a mailserver and an user
agent. The mailserver is the link between Macintoshes and the rest of
the world. The user agent is used to send and receive mail.

The mailserver

The Macintosh mailserver (a Macintosh II with an EtherCard) is connected
to Ethernet and manages mail from and to all Macs at the university. It
also stores mail for Mac users not currently reachable.

To communicate with other systems (Unix, VAX/VMS, PC, I) the mailserver
uses SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) which is a flexible and
general solution. All mail not addressed to Macs at the university is
simply forwarded to the general mail server, which kindly delivers it
all around the globe. Ordinary AppleTalk protocols are used between the
mailserver and the user Macs.

Internally in the mailserver there are several applications running as
processes under MultiFinder and communicating via mailboxes.

The user agent

At power-on the user Macintosh runs a startup document which installs a
listener as a background task and then notifies the Macintosh
mailserver. The listener vill alert the user when a mail arrives to the
mailserver.

The user agent is easy to use and implemented in ordinary Macintosh
style to make the Macintosh user feel at ease.

--
Roland Mansson, Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S220 07 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46-46107436   Fax: +46-46138225   Bitnet: roland_m@seldc52

klong@pauling.bcm.tmc.edu (Kevin Long) (05/20/89)

In article <185@hermix.UUCP> lance@hermix.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) writes:
>In article <8904241822.AA01574@ares.bsd.uchicago.edu>, martin@ares.bsd.uchicago.edu (Martin Starr) writes:
>> .. via a FastPath 4, would like to be able to receive e-mail without
>> Telneting to the host.
>I would like to hear about such products that will work over TCP/IP instead
>of AppleTalk, though.

Expect to see later this summer and into the fall:
    Internet Routing
    SMTP Mail
    NFS
and a couple of other prayers answered in the July-September time frame
all from Apple, all for MacOS-based systems, all built on top of their
TCP/IP drivers.  This should let users send and receive SMTP mail without
having to log on to a host.  I'm not sure whether someone's Mac will be
designated as the area's server and will always stay up, or if the
protocol will be a mix of SMTP and POP-like services, but we'll see.

I can't tell you how I know or where I saw it, but it was from a source
that probably wasn't supposed to reveal it and was on paper.
I suspect pumping your Apple reps for information might be revealing.
Hopefully it will really come to pass.

At the least, APDA should have in their next catalog the MacTCP drivers
as XCMDs. It's not inconceivable for someone with free time to write a
stack to search out and receive (and send)  mail using these drivers.

From what I've been seeing lately, I'd be worried if I were a LAN-based mail
product unless I was willing to start including SMTP support.  I'd also hate
to have a lot of stock options at Cayman these days.

    Regards,
    Kevin

My opinions are those of every living soul at my company.  I set the policies,
and I speak for everyone.  In fact, I invented opinions.