[comp.protocols.appletalk] Cayman on the net

chris@cayman.COM (Chris North, Technical Support) (05/15/89)

  I just wanted to let all you GatorBox users know that Cayman Systems is
on the net.  I watch this newsgroup closely so you can either post a
question here or send us mail.  I`d prefer that you sent mail to:
support@cayman.com rather than to me directly so that in my absence you still
get a timely response.

-Chris North

--
Chris North                                chris@cayman.COM
Cayman Systems

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (05/18/89)

In article <2877@cayman.COM> chris@cayman.COM (Chris North, Technical Support)
writes:
>  I just wanted to let all you GatorBox users know that Cayman Systems is
>on the net.  I watch this newsgroup closely so you can either post a
>question here or send us mail.  I`d prefer that you sent mail to:
>support@cayman.com rather than to me directly so that in my absence you still
>get a timely response.

Sounds good, but back in the mists of prehistory it was decided
definitively (with respect to Wollongong) that no one wants to pay the
bills for another company's technical support.  If you use the Internet
for such commercial purposes, you are doubly at fault.  It's too bad,
and people may have loosened up somewhat since, but I still don't think
this is an appropriate announcement.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"I've got troubles of my own, and you can't help me out.

amanda@intercon.UUCP (Amanda Walker) (05/18/89)

In article <7345@hoptoad.uucp>, tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) writes:
[about Cayman being on the net]
> Sounds good, but back in the mists of prehistory it was decided
> definitively (with respect to Wollongong) that no one wants to pay the
> bills for another company's technical support.  If you use the Internet
> for such commercial purposes, you are doubly at fault.  It's too bad,
> and people may have loosened up somewhat since, but I still don't think
> this is an appropriate announcement.

However, there does seem to be plenty of precedent for offering email-based
technical support as a convenience to one's customers.  Witness Pyramid's
"bugmail" service, and so on.  I've never heard of a company that would
ignore email from its customers, which is what the original announcement
looked like to me...

--
Amanda Walker <amanda@intercon.UUCP>
InterCon Systems Corporation

amanda@intercon.UUCP (Amanda Walker) (05/18/89)

In article <17-May-89.180024@192.41.214.2>, I write:
> [...]
> "bugmail" service, and so on.  I've never heard of a company that would
> ignore email from its customers, which is what the original announcement
> looked like to me...

Actually, what I meant to say was that the original message from the person
at Cayman looked like a statement of willingness to read email from
their customers.  Sorry if I wasn't as clear as I might have been :-).

--

chris@cayman.COM (Chris North, Technical Support) (05/18/89)

In article <7345@hoptoad.uucp>, tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) writes:

> Sounds good, but back in the mists of prehistory it was decided
> definitively (with respect to Wollongong) that no one wants to pay the
> bills for another company's technical support.  If you use the Internet
> for such commercial purposes, you are doubly at fault.  It's too bad,
> and people may have loosened up somewhat since, but I still don't think
> this is an appropriate announcement.
> --

  I was under the same impression as you and my posting was only in
response to a number of requests asking for our address.  If the conscensus
is that this announcement was inappropriate, then I apologize and I will
certainly not let it happen again.
  I think one point to note however is that the net would not be paying
for my company's tech support.  The person who is benefitting
is the person who would have been making the long distance phone call to me.

-chris

--

jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu.engin.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) (05/19/89)

In article <7345@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>In article <2877@cayman.COM> chris@cayman.COM (Chris North, Technical Support)
>writes:
>>  I just wanted to let all you GatorBox users know that Cayman Systems is
>>on the net.  I watch this newsgroup closely so you can either post a
>>question here or send us mail.  I`d prefer that you sent mail to:
>>support@cayman.com rather than to me directly so that in my absence you still
>>get a timely response.
>
>Sounds good, but back in the mists of prehistory it was decided
>definitively (with respect to Wollongong) that no one wants to pay the
>bills for another company's technical support.  If you use the Internet
>for such commercial purposes, you are doubly at fault.  It's too bad,
>and people may have loosened up somewhat since, but I still don't think
>this is an appropriate announcement.
>--
>Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
>"I've got troubles of my own, and you can't help me out.
> So take your meditations and your preparations and ram it up yer snout!"
>    - Frank Zappa, "Kozmik Debris"

General posting may not be a good thing, but he did say you could e-mail
problems into them and surely no one would begrudge him that
announcement?
John Mansfield
University of Michigan
North Campus Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory 2455 Hayward, Ann Arbor,
Michigan 48109-2143. 313-936-3352
Internet: jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu or john_mansfield.um.cc.umich.edu

kenw@noah.arc.CDN (Ken Wallewein) (05/20/89)

  I feel quite strongly that the announcement was _NOT_ inappropriate.  It
would be very convenient it all vendors with whom we dealt (the list does not
include Cayman) were available via the net.

  The difficulty is that this does not justify advertising, or similar
postings by organizations which are not well known.  It might be useful to
have an on-line 'yellow pages' directory of people/organizations offering
services to the net.

/kenw

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (05/21/89)

In article <2895@cayman.COM> chris@cayman.COM (Chris North, Technical Support)
writes:
>  I was under the same impression as you and my posting was only in
>response to a number of requests asking for our address.  If the conscensus
>is that this announcement was inappropriate, then I apologize and I will
>certainly not let it happen again.

I don't know that there is a net consensus.  There was one about six or
seven years ago, and I haven't heard of a turnabout, but it may have
drifted to the other side by now.  I am redirecting discussion to
news.misc to determine whether there is now a consensus against paying
for other's commercial technical support e-mail.

To summarize for news.misc readers:  A company has stated its intent to
provide technical support over the network.  The last time I heard this
discussed, there was a very strong consensus against it; this was with
respect to Wollongong making a similar announcement in the early
1980's.  Many people expressed the unwillingness to pay for forwarding
these commercial messages.  In the light on the greatly increased
traffic, this may have changed, and I solicit comments from system
administrators in particular.  I personally think e-mail support is a
good idea, and I feel the earlier reluctance may have had more to do
with a lack of respect for the quality of Wollongong's products than
with a general policy.  In any case, this matter needs to be clarified.

>  I think one point to note however is that the net would not be paying
>for my company's tech support.  The person who is benefitting
>is the person who would have been making the long distance phone call to me.

Yes, people would be paying to forward support messages to you, and no
doubt from you as well.  This was what people objected to before.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"Every institution I've ever been associated with has tried to screw me."

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (05/22/89)

In article <7345@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:

>Sounds good, but back in the mists of prehistory it was decided
>definitively (with respect to Wollongong) that no one wants to pay the
>bills for another company's technical support.  If you use the Internet
>for such commercial purposes, you are doubly at fault.  It's too bad,
>and people may have loosened up somewhat since, but I still don't think
>this is an appropriate announcement.

	I don't mean to protract this discussion, but I think that
there are some points to be clarified.

	First, if the net under discussion is "usenet" then there are
standards for postings that include prohibitions [too strong, perhaps
discouragements] against commercial advertising.

	If the net under discussion is the Internet, then the
situation is different.  The ARPAnet had prohibitions on traffic
unrelated to DARPA business.  Unenforceable.  The prohibition was
informally relaxed, but discouraged "commercial" activity and customer
support was classified as such, I believe.

	This situation has most definitely changed in the new NSF
sponsored Internet.  The question of customer support on the NSF
sponsored Internet (the Merit-run backbone and the "regionals") has
been specifically raised and it is acceptable to NSF, in my and others
interpretations.

	The NSF is drafting an acceptable use policy for wide
distribution, but it will say things like "in support of research and
education" and most everyone expects it to be broadly interpreted.

	Of course, I do not speak for the NSF.  They speak for
themselves and often.  :-)

	Cayman need make no apology, in my opinion, for offering
customer support on the Internet.  All their competitors have an equal
shot at joining the Internet.

	Of course, eventually all commercial organizations offering
customer support on the Internet and benefiting thereby will be
required to pay their share of costs.  This includes Cayman.

	Kent England, Boston U