[comp.protocols.appletalk] Need help with NCSA Telnet for PC using Localtalk PC card

humtech@ucschu.ucsc.edu (Mark Frost) (05/25/89)

Hello. We've been investigating the possibilities of using PC's on our
AppleTalk, err, I mean Localtalk network. We are using Apple's Localtalk
PC card and AppleShare PC software which are both quite nice.

Our PC users want access to telnet (just like the mac users). We have
tried out Stanford's PC/IP software which works, but for some reason, the
echo can get really slow (actually behind) when you type fast. This can be
very annoying. If you're a fast typist (which I am - bet you can't tell 8-) )
you'll be typing along and you won't see your last three words until you
slow down or stop to let the echo catch up with you. (We did the
suggested "optimization" for Apple's LocalTalk PC card as mentioned in the
SU PC/IP documentation).

I'm uncertain as to whether this is a hardware problem (the LocalTalk PC
card is too slow or if it's just the software). We do not have this problem
using either Mac/IP or NCSA Telnet on our macs. So I'd like to try to use
NCSA Telnet 2.2 on the PC to see if that's any better.

I ftp'ed the stuff from "zaphod" and tried to assemble it. I could not get
it to work. I looked at the config.tel file and sorted through the
accompanying documentation. I had heard that there was a way to use this
software with a LocalTalk PC card. (I can't really remember, but it was
something like "hardware = atalk" or something). In the documentation, I saw
no mention of support for anything other than various ethernet cards.

I tried ncsa telnet with the hardware option in config.tel = "atalk" and
"appletalk" and both times, the machine hangs up after printing a few
garbage characters at various places around the screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm running an IBM PC XT with a monochrome
monitor (and monochrome monitor card) and 640K.

E-mail is best, but I do try to read the net.

Thanx in advance for any suggestions.

Mark Frost
	Office of the the Computing Coordinator
	Humanities Division
	University of California at Santa Cruz
Internet: humtech@ucschu.UCSC.EDU
Bitnet: humtech@ucschu.bitnet
Uucp: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucschu!humtech

jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu.engin.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) (05/25/89)

In article <7658@saturn.ucsc.edu> humtech@ucschu.ucsc.edu (Mark Frost) writes:
>I ftp'ed the stuff from "zaphod" and tried to assemble it. I could not get
>it to work. I looked at the config.tel file and sorted through the
>accompanying documentation. I had heard that there was a way to use this
>software with a LocalTalk PC card. (I can't really remember, but it was
>something like "hardware = atalk" or something). In the documentation, I saw
>no mention of support for anything other than various ethernet cards.
>
>I tried ncsa telnet with the hardware option in config.tel = "atalk" and
>"appletalk" and both times, the machine hangs up after printing a few
>garbage characters at various places around the screen.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm running an IBM PC XT with a monochrome
>monitor (and monochrome monitor card) and 640K.
>
>E-mail is best, but I do try to read the net.

Please post, I had the same problems. Thanks.

John Mansfield
University of Michigan
North Campus Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory 2455 Hayward, Ann Arbor,
Michigan 48109-2143. 313-936-3352
Internet: jfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu or john_mansfield.um.cc.umich.edu