[comp.protocols.appletalk] Problems Upgrading from Fastpath 3 to 4

kellow@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (John Kellow) (05/28/89)

I just recently started reading this group so maybe this has been discussed
before, but here goes...  We've been having problems in replacing a Fastpath 3
with a Fastpath 4.  We're running a Sun 3/50 as a file server using CAP and
we also print to a LaserWriter on the appletalk side ( we're also running
lwsrv but don't use it that much since the LaserWriter is on the appletalk
side).  When we put in the Fastpath 4, it didn't work.  I think someone
from Kinetics told us that the new box couldn't use the ddpstartrange of 200
so we switched it back to 768.  Now AUFS works, telnet from the macs to the
sun works but lwsrv and printing from the sun doesn't work.  Atlook doesn't
return anything, not even from the ethernet side, and getzones returns an
error.  Atistest works.  So what are we doing wrong?  Should we just keep
the Fastpath 3 and try to send the 4 back?  Is there any great advantage to
upgrading?

John Kellow
kellow@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (05/31/89)

John Kellow writes:

> I just recently started reading this group so maybe this has been
> discussed before, but here goes...  We've been having problems in
> replacing a Fastpath 3 with a Fastpath 4.  We're running a Sun 3/50 as
> a file server using CAP and we also print to a LaserWriter on the
> appletalk side ( we're also running lwsrv but don't use it that much
> since the LaserWriter is on the appletalk side).  When we put in the
> Fastpath 4, it didn't work.  I think someone from Kinetics told us
> that the new box couldn't use the ddpstartrange of 200 so we switched
> it back to 768.  Now AUFS works, telnet from the macs to the sun works
> but lwsrv and printing from the sun doesn't work.  Atlook doesn't
> return anything, not even from the ethernet side, and getzones returns
> an error.  Atistest works.  So what are we doing wrong?  Should we
> just keep the Fastpath 3 and try to send the 4 back?  Is there any
> great advantage to upgrading?

We've been gaining a lot of experience upgrading many of our campus
KFPS-[123] boxes to the KFPS-U, or whatever it's officially called,
that runs K-Star (we have a lot of KFPS-4s too, but I'm not talking
about those).  Here are a few things we've found; maybe some of them
apply to John's or other people's situations.

1.  There's some difference with how the KFPS-U with K-Star responds
to NBP lookups with * as the zone, compared to how KIP responds.  Some
of our users had trouble with CAP locating resources on LocalTalks
behnd upgraded boxes.  The solution in most cases so far has been to
completely specify printer names (MyPrinter:LaserWriter@MyZone instead
of MyPrinter:LaserWriter@*).  You should also specify the zone name
when using atlook, etc.

2.  The KFPS-U seems unusually sensitive to busy Ethernets.  On one
very busy net the box would get stuck while loading K-Star from the
LocalTalk.  We tried disconnecting the Ethernet cable while loading
and voila, it worked.  This doesn't seem like a long-term solution,
though . . .

On the same net SU-Mac/IP failed on a LocalTalk-attached Mac, the
KFPS-U having failed to respond to the IPGATEWAY lookup.  We took a
look with the Sniffer and found that each NBP lookup broadcast from
the KFPS-U was getting back 12 messages (ICMP unreachables, ARPs for
the broadcast address, etc) from misconfigured Unix systems on the net
(which, alas, are not under our control, if anyone's).  We redefined
the zones so that the LocalTalk was a separate zone from the
EtherTalk/IPTalk nets (they had all been one zone before), which
eliminated the Ethernet broadcasts on NBP lookups, and Mac/IP
commenced to work.

(KIP, I might add, worked well enough on the un-upgraded KFPS-1 and -2
on this same busy net.)

3.  I did a quicky performance test on the various KFPS models by
using AppleShare on my Ethernet-attached MacII to copy a file to a
CAP/Aufs server, and watching the packet flow with a Sniffer.  Each
packet in this case goes through the Kbox which translates it from
EtherTalk format (which the MacII understands) to IPTalk format (which
CAP understands).  This should be a sort of worst-case test of Kbox
performance, since handling LocalTalk packets should be much easier.
The AppleTalk Transaction Protocol provides a nice performance picture
as it marks the packets in a sequence which need retransmission.  The
tests were done on an Ethernet with a low (<10% max) level of
background traffic.

With a KFPS-4, all packets went through smoothly in both directions,
so no retransmissions were required.  A KFPS-2 consistently dropped
every second packet from the MacII, thus requiring 15 packets to be
sent from the MacII to get 8 successfully to the Aufs server (no Aufs

The KFPS-2U, curiously, consistently dropped the second, third and
fourth packets of the 8-packet sequence on the initial blast, but
handled the 3 retransmitted packets successfully, thus requiring
only 11 packets to get 8 through.  For this test, then, the KFPS-U was
just about half-way in performance between the 2 and the 4.

Other tests can and should be done, your mileage may vary, etc.  My
view is that even the KFPS-U's performance isn't really acceptable for
doing file service across nets, but that the 4 will be OK in most
cases.

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford