[comp.protocols.appletalk] Can TOPS work with Apple LocalTalk PC cards?

fredrick@acdpyr.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) (06/16/89)

We were shipped copies of PC TOPS 2.1 along with Apple LocalTalk PC Cards
(as opposed to the TOPS flashcard).  When it came to install LocalTalk
using TOPS alap command, the LocalTalk card seemed to be incompatible.  The
most visible sign of this incompatibility is the use of different address
ranges for control signals (240 for the Apple card, while TOPS expects
something else for its card).  Maybe the control signals are incompatible
as well.

Is the Apple LocalTalk card really incompatible with TOPS software, and
the TOPS LocalTalk card really incompatible with Appleshar software?  Has
anyone gotten this configuration to work for them?

Please let me know via email, since I'm sure this is question is basic.

Thanks.

Tim (fredrick@acdpyr.ucar.edu)

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (06/17/89)

In article <3459@ncar.ucar.edu> fredrick@acdpyr.UCAR.EDU (Tim Fredrick) writes:

>Is the Apple LocalTalk card really incompatible with TOPS software, and
>the TOPS LocalTalk card really incompatible with Appleshar software?  Has
>anyone gotten this configuration to work for them?

I know this may sound wacky, but -- have you considered calling TOPS
support?

You say you were shipped copies of TOPS that came with the Apple PC
card.  I really doubt that TOPS would ship in this configuration if
they didn't work together.  Actually, I kind of doubt TOPS would ship
this configuration at all, but maybe policies have changed since I
left.

I'm not going to say what I'm thinking, but is there some reason you
don't want to call TOPS support?
Postal: 424 Tehama, SF CA 94103; Phone: (415) 495-2934

"What's the ugliest part of your body?
 Some say your nose, some say your toes,
 But I think it's your mind."
-- Frank Zappa