[comp.protocols.appletalk] Appletalk and MSDOS 4.X?

jness@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Joel Ness) (06/20/89)

Does anyone have any information on how AppleTalk/AppleShare works with
MSDOS 4.? We've heard there are problems and are concerned since many of
our PC users will likely be upgrading in the future. Are there fixes?
work-arounds? new software?

Please excuse if this has been covered in this group - I've only
recently subscribed (but I will be reading this group from now on if
you'd rather post a reply than e-mail).

Thanks

Joel Ness			       		INTERNET: jness@ub.d.umn.edu
Information Services		        	BITNET:  JNESS@UMNDUL
University of Minnesota, Duluth

shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker) (06/20/89)

In article <1109@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU>, jness@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Joel Ness) writes:
> Does anyone have any information on how AppleTalk/AppleShare works with
> MSDOS 4.? We've heard there are problems and are concerned since many of
> our PC users will likely be upgrading in the future. Are there fixes?
> work-arounds? new software?
>
> Please excuse if this has been covered in this group - I've only
> recently subscribed (but I will be reading this group from now on if
> you'd rather post a reply than e-mail).
>
> Thanks
>
> Joel Ness			       		INTERNET: jness@ub.d.umn.edu
> Information Services		        	BITNET:  JNESS@UMNDUL
> University of Minnesota, Duluth

AppleShare PC version 2.0 which was announced on June 12 as part of Apple's
new communications products announcement does work with DOS 4.x.

Previous versions (1.1 and 1.2) used a version of the Microsoft redirector
that does not work with DOS 4.x. Microsoft has released a new redirector that
does work with DOS 4.0, and we have incorporated into the new version of
AppleShare PC.

The other major feature of 2.0 is that is will run other other cards besides
Apple's LocalTalk PC card.  In particular, it supports two ethernet cards, plus
IBM's TokenRing cards.  The architecture is open in that it is possible to
write drivers for nearly any card, and AppleShare PC will make use of them.

Availability is 3rd quarter.

Mike Shoemaker
Network Systems Development
shoemake@apple.com