[comp.protocols.appletalk] hooking a mac up to the ethernet through a SCSI port

jsm@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (John Scott McCauley Jr.) (06/20/89)

Here is the question: I have a Mac II with a SCSI hard disk and
a Kinetics Ethernet-SCSI box. Do I just need a cable? Any tcp-ip
packages support this configuration? Here are more details:

Hardware Question:

Ethernet<->SCSI box has two SCSI ports, one hooked up to laser printer.
Mac II has a 20 Mbyte external SCSI hard disk. Hard disk has a dasy chain SCSI
connector. Can I hook the other SCSI port on the Ethernet box to the
dasy chain connector on the Mac II's external hard disk? If it is just a cable,
how long can it be (will 20' be too long?)

Software Question:

What TCP-IP package for the Mac would support the above hardware?
Anything that also supports Appleshare?

	Thanks,

		Scott
--
Scott McCauley, jsm@phoenix.princeton.edu (INTERNET)
Home:	(609) 683-9065

news@intercon.UUCP (News Administrator) (06/21/89)

In article <9060@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, jsm@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (John Scott McCauley Jr.) writes:

> Hardware Question:
>
> Ethernet<->SCSI box has two SCSI ports, one hooked up to laser printer.
> Mac II has a 20 Mbyte external SCSI hard disk. Hard disk has a dasy chain SCSI
> connector. Can I hook the other SCSI port on the Ethernet box to the
> dasy chain connector on the Mac II's external hard disk? If it is just a cable,
> how long can it be (will 20' be too long?)

Should be able to do this.  I am not sure about the length question.  I have
a similar hook up with a 6' cable and I have had not problems with it.  You
should be just fine.

> Software Question:
>
> What TCP-IP package for the Mac would support the above hardware?
> Anything that also supports Appleshare?

Ok, well there are a couple.

PD

NCSA-Telnet, U of ILL - NCSA, will work just fine with this setup.  Get it from
zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu I don't remember which directory off hand.

SU-MacIP, Stanford, I don't see why this package would have any troubles but I have
not used it in the above configuration myself.

TOPS Terminal, (used to be a product from TOPS) I have no idea if this will
run over a SCSI device, but if they followed Apple's specs it should work.

Commercial

TCP/Connect, InterCon Systems Corp., (derived from NCSA) has no problems with
the above configuration, I use it everyday.

HostAccess, Kinetics, (derived from MacIP) will work just fine.  After all
they make a SCSI ethernet device.

(Any package that uses MacTCP should run over a SCSI ethernet device. The
ones that I know of are NCSA-Telnet, TCP/Connect, and I believe SU-MacIP.)

If I missed any please let me know.  If there are any new packages out there
I would be interested in hearing about them too.