[comp.protocols.appletalk] Appletalk Phase ][

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (06/20/89)

(Sorry for the length of this, but it's my Soapbox . . .)

Rick Ewing writes:

> Appletalk Phase II (ATP2) is an important change in the architecture
> of Appletalk to support wide area networks, as opposed to local area
> networks.

I disagree.  I think the thrust of ATP2 is to support larger LANs, not
larger internets.  I'll try to make clear the distinction.

It seems to me that the charter of ATP2 is to fix as many things as
possible while allowing all current network applications to function
unchanged.  (Anything that implements an AppleTalk router, however,
[such as Apple's new software, or Liaison, or Kboxes] will have to
change a lot.)  I would guess that the major constraint here is
LaserWriters, which are a very popular network resource, and a big
hassle to modify.  I think this constraint prevented the ATP2
designers from tackling the Really Big Problems, however.

The most important things ATP2 fixes are:

1) Number of nodes on a LAN.  Anybody who runs a large bridged
Ethernet and uses Macs has complained to Apple about the 254-node
limit, imposed by the 8-bit node address space in the AppleTalk
address (I'll note that this isn't our problem here at Stanford, since
we're heavily partitioned with IP routers).  ATP2's solution is the
same one used by many people to extend the IP addressing on their
Ethernets: just allow multiple network numbers on the same cable.
ATP2 associates a contiguous network number range with a cable (an
"extended" network) instead of just the single network number of ATP1.
Basically this is just stealing network number bits to allow more host
number bits, but the total stays at 24, still a meager number for a
Real Network.  Note that a LocalTalk can't do this: it still always
has a single network number (a "non-extended" network).

2) Zone names on a cable.  ATP1 requires each net to be in exactly one
zone, which is also a problem on large bridged Ethernets.  Now a zone
name list is associated with a cable, and a node (eg a Mac) gets to
choose the zone it wants to be in when it boots.  Presumably it
remembers this across boots so the poor confused user only has to do
this once.  There's an additional ZIP function (GetNetInfo) that a
node can use to get the zone name list and net numbers from a router.

3) Broadcasts.  People who run large nets complained about ATP1's use
of broadcast Ethernet packets.  ATP2 specifies the use of multicast
packets for most functions instead of broadcasts (RTMP, NBP lookup,
etc).  This allows hosts with multicast-filtering capability in
hardware to not be bothered by packets they're not interested in.
Everyone will suddenly become very interested in the hardware support
for multicast in their favorite AppleTalk hardware (EtherTalk,
EtherPort, FastPath, Gatorbox, etc).  Anybody want to start a list?
In addition, ATP2 specifies the use of 802.2 format on Ethernets, so
everybody's protocol analyzer will need some upgrading, too.

4) Routing.  ATP2 routers use the "split horizon" technique to reduce
the size of RTMP packets.  Basically this means not telling other
routers things they already know.  Also, a node's caching of "best
routes" to other networks is now explicit, to reduce the bouncing of
packets in the presence of multiple routers on a cable.  These are
simple fixes that should help things a little bit.

The main elements are 1, 2, and 3, which are all aimed at allowing
individual LANs to have more nodes.  Here are some problems with large
internets that ATP2 doesn't consider:

1) Routing tables are too big.  At Stanford, we have 150 Kboxes.  I
could imagine that, if we put them all into one AppleTalk internet
(ATI), the routing table in each box would be 250 or more entries,
couting all the EtherTalk and IPTalk network entries.  This is a lot
to maintain, but might work OK.  Suppose we wanted to do AppleTalk
with Big University X (BUX), which has 200 AppleTalk nets of its own.
Now each router has to maintain a 450-entry table.  This quickly grows
unworkable.  What's needed is something like what IP uses, which is
subnets which have structure inside but only a single point of entry
to the outside world.  It seems like this would be hard to do with
only 24 bits of address, though.

2) Too many zone names.  Our mythical one big ATI at Stanford might
have 100 zones.  This is a lot to work with already.  Again, if we
combine with BUX, we'll have 200, and so on, as well as having
multiple "Physics" zones, eg.  Something like hierarchical zone names
is required.  Hmm, it might even look a lot like the IP Internet
domain name system . . .

3) Dynamic name binding doesn't scale either.  Every time I print to a
LaserWriter my Mac does an NBP lookup to my zone to bind the LW's name
to an AT address.  A central resource that had a lot of users (perhaps
a big central AppleShare server) would have lots of name lookups all
the time, and any resource in its zone would also have to handle (only
to discard) these lookups.  Some kind of static naming is necessary
for this kind of situation.  Hmm, this might look a lot like the IP
Internet domain name system, too . . . *8^)*

I'm sure we'll do ATP2 here, but my initial reaction is that the pain
of converting won't be worth the benefits we get.  If ATP3 were out by
1Q90 maybe we'd wait . . .

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

wnn@DSUNX1.DSRD.ORNL.GOV (W. N. Naegeli) (06/20/89)

Rick Ewing writes:

The original Appletalk (now called phase I) allowed up to 256 nodes on
a network, and did a fairly lousy job of RTMP packet forwarding.  The
new Appletalk allows up to 16 million nodes, up to 256 zones ...
<<<<<<<<

The original AppleTalk allowed 254 nodes. (A note address of 0 is not
allowed and treated as unknown, and an address of 255 is used for broad-
casting to all nodes, according to "Inside AppleTalk."

During the televised announcement, and in the literature we received from
Apple it was stated that you could have as many as 1024 interconnected
networks, each of which could have 256 zones and the users can pick which
zone they wish to be in.

Is that a new feature of the Chooser? What is meant by it? Already now you
can select printers, net modems, etc. in other zones.

Currently you can have 65535 networks and a zone can span multiple net-
works, but you can only have one zone per network.

It seems useful to allow multiple zones per network so that you do not have
to search through dozens of printers, for example, if you wish to access
on of the few in your workgroup and you are on a highspeed network with
many other devices.  However, it seems dangerous to allow the user to
select a zone at random.  Someone might inadvertently put himself or her-
self into another zone and would no longer receive mail.  If you inad-
vertently select the wrong output device, you will notice the error when
your output does not arrive at the expected place, but since you do not
know when other users want to contact you, a zone selection error might go
undetected for some while.

Standard networks
using just localtalk or equivelents are *not* immediately affected by
all this;  since localtalk can only support 32 nodes electrically anyway
(and phonenet roughly 100), it was not necessary to update all Macs to
reflect the new software.
<<<<<<<<

Which Macs did you need to update? We actually have one LocalTalk cable
with more than 60 connected devices.  We tried to install a Hayes Inter-
Brige once, when it was still quite a bit smaller, but we could not get
it to work; some nodes became invisible.  What are the rules for needing
to update old networks on an internet?  Some of our network numbers are
higher than 1024.

Users that have Kinetics Fastpaths, cayman gatorboxes,
Hayes Interbridges, or other devices that provide routing services need
to contact their respective manufacturers for upgrades.
<<<<<<<

When I called Kinetics they told me that the update will require software
only, no ROM swap, and that it is in Beta testing, but they did not give
me a date.

Nuvotech told me that the TurboBridge will require a ROM change, but that
they are thinking about swapping the bridges rather than have users update
them.  They said they are working on it, but no date yet.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Internet: wnn@dsunx1.dsrd.ornl.gov (128.219.96.46)
Bitnet:   wnn@ornlstc     Phone: (615) 574-6143    Fax: (615) 574-3895

medin@nsipo.arc.nasa.gov (Milo S. Medin) (06/20/89)

All this only goes to show that Apple has yet again decided against using
standard protocols like IP (or even OSI) and has again decided to reinvent
the wheel, and make the same mistakes that were made before.  If Apple
spent a tenth of the effort making IP net building as easy as plugging
together Appletalk, they and we would be much better off.

This is a classic case of Not Invented Here.  There are well known solutions
to the types of internet problems ATP2 has built into it.  It's obselete as
a protocol even before it's fielded.  The folks at Apple should try and open
their eyes a bit.  Even if the did everything differently at transport and
above, running over IP at the network layer would be a big win, and allow
use of standard routers and standard routing protocols, and really
allow the Research community to interact much more with each other.

It's really too bad when you think about how much better it could have
been.  It's not like SNA.  Appletalk wasn't built in the '70's.  Solutions
were known and readily available.  They just wern't used.  There is no
excuse for this.

						Thanks,
						   Milo

"Ethertalk: A poor implementation of a poor architecture."

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (06/20/89)

In article <27262@ames.arc.nasa.gov> medin@cincsac.arc.nasa.gov
 (Milo S. Medin) writes:
>If Apple
>spent a tenth of the effort making IP net building as easy as plugging
>together Appletalk, they and we would be much better off.
>
>This is a classic case of Not Invented Here.  There are well known solutions
>to the types of internet problems ATP2 has built into it.

	If you and Bob Morgan and one person from Apple got together
for a few weeks in a hotel somewhere, you three could crank out the 15
or so RFCs that would be needed to make IP as dynamic as AppleTalk.
I'll bet you could even figure out how to put in the Big Switch which
controls whether the net configuration is manager-less or managed (in
terms of mailboxes and Well Known Resources and Authorizations).

	But I think you will have to get along without the Apple rep.
According to the new products I see coming from Apple they are playing
a different game than we.

	If not dynamic IP, how about a standard encapsulation of
AppleTalk in IP for an RFC?  (Done.)  Is there some Great Hope that we
could plug together some largish number of LocalTalks and EtherTalks
into one largish InterAppleNet over IP?  Could we go farther and glue
some of the Name Binding into the Domain Name System?  Could we use IP
to avoid some of the ugly scaling problems with AppleTalk?  Could we
use our IP routing protocols to cover AppleTalk nets in our
multi-protocol routers?  (Non RTMP AppleTalk routing.)  You and Bob
and Greg from Kinetics and maybe one guy from Cayman can handle it.
Maybe somebody from Microsoft to say they would support it in their
applications.  :-) Are you tearing your hair at the thought of all
this?  :-) Maybe dynamic IP would be easier.

	--Kent England, Boston U

	Standard disclaimer: The above is just a fantasy and is not to
imply that Milo or Bob or Greg would ever think of doing such a thing.

chris@cayman.COM (Chris North) (06/20/89)

>                  Users that have Kinetics Fastpaths, cayman gatorboxes,
> Hayes Interbridges, or other devices that provide routing services need
> to contact their respective manufacturers for upgrades.

  GatorBox users should note that they will receive a free upgrade to
Appletalk Phase II as part of our next release.  The expected ship date
is during the last week of August.

-chris

--
Chris North                                chris@cayman.COM
Cayman Systems

medin@cincsac.arc.nasa.gov (Milo S. Medin) (06/21/89)

Why should I or anyone else in the Internet community go out and
do all that work?   Why do you think that Apple would pay attention
to those RFC's when they ignored all the others?  I think if we
seriously believed that we could avoid this grief by doing that
work, I'm sure I could get a bunch of people together and do it.

But I don't think it would do any good.  NIH isn't a conscious
decision, it's a state of mind...

					Thanks,
					   Milo

liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk (William Roberts) (06/23/89)

In article <27262@ames.arc.nasa.gov> medin@cincsac.arc.nasa.gov (Milo S. Medin) writes:
>This is a classic case of Not Invented Here.  There are well known solutions
>to the types of internet problems ATP2 has built into it.  It's obselete as
>a protocol even before it's fielded.

Yes, and that's the really sad thing about it. AppleTalk is a
brilliantly simple "self-configuring" system which puts the
human admin work only where it is needed. It also obtains services by
lookup, which is much better than "well-known addresses".

What I believe Apple should do (should have done) is to
anticipate the meltdown in IP address space that will happen if
we really do get intensely interconnected, and built an
AppleTalk 2 that coped with the problems of hierarchical
administration of truly enormous collections of small networks.
Then it's time for Apple to licence the code to other vendors
so that we can all use it, together with some neat peripherals
like Ethernet laser printers to make it worth non-Mac sites
using the stuff.

My pet suggestion for doing this is to allow open ended
extensions of the network number (nets of nets of nets of...)
and let the routers worry about it. Might pay to up the size of
the node number as well, allowing the old scheme to co-exist
(rather like long and short form ddp addresses). Remember that
services obtained by lookup have the inherent advantage that
the return path can be anticipated by reversing the lookup
path. If X25 (X75?) switches can do it (logical channel numbers
and all) then so can anybody.
--

William Roberts         ARPA: liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk
Queen Mary College      UUCP: liam@qmc-cs.UUCP    AppleLink: UK0087