[comp.protocols.appletalk] KIP and Apples Router...

Ravinder.Chandhok@CS.CMU.EDU (Rob Chandhok) (06/21/89)

I've tested Apple's Internet Router, and I agree, it is nice.  I acutally
set it up across the same network as my KFPS-4 (running KIP) so I had a
parallel route between my Ethertalk and localtalk nets.  That worked fine.
This was on my mac II running AppleShare.  And if I ran the print server, it
crashed alot.  But I had a beta copy, remember!

Anyway, It seems that with MacTCP + a little work, we could have the Apple
Router replace the KIP box, by making an AppleTalk driver that routed
packets via MacTCP.  We shouldn't have to change the router, and the
resulting "Encapsulated AppleTalk" (IPTalk?) driver could also be used on
standalone Macs.  The IPTalk driver might have to still talk to the KIP
demon via IP directly, to fully simulate KIP.

I might be wrong in terms of the work involved, but am I technically off the
wall? Would be fun...

Rob

falken@apple.com (Dave Falkenburg) (06/22/89)

In article <7162.614439407@GNOME.CS.CMU.EDU> Ravinder.Chandhok@CS.CMU.EDU
(Rob Chandhok) writes:
> Anyway, It seems that with MacTCP + a little work, we could have the
Apple
> Router replace the KIP box, by making an AppleTalk driver that routed
> packets via MacTCP.  We shouldn't have to change the router, and the
> resulting "Encapsulated AppleTalk" (IPTalk?) driver could also be used on
> standalone Macs.  The IPTalk driver might have to still talk to the KIP
> demon via IP directly, to fully simulate KIP.
>
> I might be wrong in terms of the work involved, but am I technically off
the
> wall? Would be fun...

The only problem with building a UDP LAP would be that the LAP manager
would try to
install the IPTalk LAP  BEFORE MacTCP had been loaded.  (I think, but am
not sure)

-dave falkenburg
  falken@apple.com

disclaimer:  I'm not in Networking & Communications at Apple, just System
             Software. Regardless of this fact, these opinions are my own!

minshall@kinetics.UUCP (Greg Minshall) (06/26/89)

From article <7162.614439407@GNOME.CS.CMU.EDU>, by Ravinder.Chandhok@CS.CMU.EDU (Rob Chandhok):
> Anyway, It seems that with MacTCP + a little work, we could have the Apple
> Router replace the KIP box, by making an AppleTalk driver that routed
> packets via MacTCP.
> I might be wrong in terms of the work involved, but am I technically off the
> wall? Would be fun...

This is an interesting idea.  However, you won't be able to use MacTCP (nor
TCPort, for that matter).  The two problems are that you won't be able to
send packets with the correct (client) address, and you won't be able to
receive packets sent to your clients.  When you ask MacTCP to send a
packet, it (quite reasonably) plops its own IP address in the source
field of the datagram.  So, you lose the original source address.
When someone tries to send to your client, it may decide to ARP for the
address.  MacTCP won't answer this ARP.  Now, it could be that the client
appears to be in a separate IP (sub)network from the ethernet cable on which
MacTCP is running; in this case, client code on the Mac could generate RIP
packets saying "send here" (as the newest K-Star will do), or you could
manually configure your hosts to send packets to MacTCP.  However, when
MacTCP gets the packet, it will say "not for me" and drop it (I assume -
at least that is what TCPort will do; MacTCP *could* try to forward the
packet somewhere).

Greg Minshall				Kinetics/Excelan/Novell
minshall@kinetics.com			1-947-0998

tappan@bbn.com (Dan Tappan) (06/27/89)

In article <771@kinetics.UUCP> minshall@kinetics.UUCP (Greg Minshall) writes:
>From article <7162.614439407@GNOME.CS.CMU.EDU>, by Ravinder.Chandhok@CS.CMU.EDU (Rob Chandhok):
>> Anyway, It seems that with MacTCP + a little work, we could have the Apple
>> Router replace the KIP box, by making an AppleTalk driver that routed
>> packets via MacTCP.
>> I might be wrong in terms of the work involved, but am I technically off the
>> wall? Would be fun...
>
>This is an interesting idea.  However, you won't be able to use MacTCP (nor
>TCPort, for that matter).  The two problems are that you won't be able to
>send packets with the correct (client) address, and you won't be able to
>receive packets sent to your clients.  When you ask MacTCP to send a
>packet, it (quite reasonably) plops its own IP address in the source
>field of the datagram.  So, you lose the original source address.
>When someone tries to send to your client, it may decide to ARP for the
>address.  MacTCP won't answer this ARP.
>
>Greg Minshall				Kinetics/Excelan/Novell
>minshall@kinetics.com			1-947-0998

But... The way the Appletalk/UDP encapsulation works is that the
clients have no IP address. The bridge (or CAP host) puts its own
address in the header as the IP source and the address of other bridge
as the IP dest.

The biggest problems that I can see with implementing a UDP
encapsulation Appletalk driver are:

1) You have to be able to tell the UDP driver to forward the full
range of Appletalk ports to your bridge process (and conversely, the
bridge process has to be able to arbitrarily set the
source/destination port). This would be easier to do with some
cooperation from the Apple TCP folks.

2) As someone pointed out, you have to start things in the right
order: Ethernet < TCP < Appletalk. With some clever delays in
connecting to the TCP driver this is probably workable.

Dan Tappan