[comp.protocols.appletalk] Communications Manager

jay@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Jay O'Conor) (06/23/89)

Does anyone out there know if the Communications Toolbox will be made available
through APDA?  If so, when?  If not, why?

Thanks in advance,
Jay O'Conor
Unisys/Convergent

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (06/24/89)

In article <741@mitisft.Convergent.COM> jay@mitisft.Convergent.COM.UUCP writes:
>Does anyone out there know if the Communications Toolbox will be made available
>through APDA?  If so, when?  If not, why?

A beta version of the Communications Toolbox will be available in APDA's
July APDAlog.

====== jeanne a. e. devoto =================================================
 Usenet: jdevoto@apple.com  |  You may not distribute this article under a
         jdevoto@well.UUCP  |  compilation copyright without my permission.

han@Apple.COM (Byron "No Comments" Han) (06/25/89)

Actually, it is the Communications _Toolbox_, not the Communications Manager.
Communications Manager runs under OS/2 EE.

| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                       |
Byron Han, Communications Scapegoat   At Apple, we change the world everyday.
Apple Computer, Inc.                  -----------------------------------------
20525 Mariani Ave, MS27Y              Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014                   UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
------------------------------------  GENIE:BYRONHAN   CompuServe:72167,1664
ATTnet: 408-974-6450                  Applelink:HAN1   HAN1@applelink.apple.COM

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (06/25/89)

In article <741@mitisft.Convergent.COM>, jay@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Jay O'Conor) writes:

> Does anyone out there know if the Communications Toolbox will be made available
> through APDA?  If so, when?  If not, why?

	it is my understanding that it will be NOT be available from APDA
initially and that those developers wanting to develop products for it will have
to license it from Apple to distribute with their products.  HOWEVER, since
the Comm Toolbox is not yet ready to ship, Apple can always change their minds
again as to its distribution.

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

In article <12381@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>	it is my understanding that it will be NOT be available from APDA
>initially and that those developers wanting to develop products for it will have
>to license it from Apple to distribute with their products.  HOWEVER, since
>the Comm Toolbox is not yet ready to ship, Apple can always change their minds
>again as to its distribution.

The Communications Toolbox _will_ be in the July APDAlog for developers who
wish to develop using the Communications Toolbox.  In order to ship the
Communications Toolbox with their commercial products, developers will need to
contact Apple Software Licensing for more information.
| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                       |
Byron Han, Communications Scapegoat   At Apple, we change the world everyday.
Apple Computer, Inc.                  -----------------------------------------
20525 Mariani Ave, MS27Y              Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014                   UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
------------------------------------  GENIE:BYRONHAN   CompuServe:72167,1664
ATTnet: 408-974-6450                  Applelink:HAN1   HAN1@applelink.apple.COM

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (06/26/89)

I have some questions about the Communications Toolbox --

(1)  What is the connection between statements about licensing and
statements that this will become a standard part of the OS with System
7.0?  Do all products using it have to license it (if they provide a
copy) or will it be subsumed under distributing the Apple system
software for licensing purposes?

(2)  The distributed diagrams show only serial port support built in.
I am surprised that support for network terminals (using TCP and ADSP)
and network file transfer (using FTP and perhaps client-side AFP)
weren't slated for the first release.  Will these be added later or is
this being left for third parties?  If only serial connections modules
are being provided, how sure can we be that it is general enough for
LAN use?

(3)  Will it be compatible with System 6.0.3 as well as 7.0?

(4)  What responsibilities of terminal emulation are left to the
application (or other calling) software?  For instance, do the built-in
terminal emulators implement scrollback and connection-time saving to
disk, or are there callback hooks to allow client software to handle
these features?

Thanks for any help you can give....
Postal: 424 Tehama, SF CA 94103; Phone: (415) 495-2934

"I don't know that atheists should be considered citizens, nor should they
 be considered patriots.  This is one nation under God."
    -- George Bush in FREE INQUIRY magazine, Fall 1988

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (06/26/89)

In article <7764@hoptoad.uucp>, tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) writes:
> I have some questions about the Communications Toolbox --
>
> (1)  What is the connection between statements about licensing and
> statements that this will become a standard part of the OS with System
> 7.0?  Do all products using it have to license it (if they provide a
> copy) or will it be subsumed under distributing the Apple system
> software for licensing purposes?

	Accordign to what we have been told by Apple, any software product
which wishes to use the CTB will have to license it SEPARATELY for inclusion
on their shipping disks.  This will probably change when system 7.0 ships.

> (2)  The distributed diagrams show only serial port support built in.
> I am surprised that support for network terminals (using TCP and ADSP)
> and network file transfer (using FTP and perhaps client-side AFP)
> weren't slated for the first release.  Will these be added later or is
> this being left for third parties?  If only serial connections modules
> are being provided, how sure can we be that it is general enough for
> LAN use?

	You are correct that Apple's initial offering will include only serial
type connection tools (serial and modem).  The reasons why they are only
offering these are two fold - 1) lack of time/resources to do an ADSP or TCP
tool and 2) give the 3rd parities something to do.  They have internal testing
tools for both ADSP and TCP (using MacTCP) so I think you can say it does work
(though I can not comment of how well..)

> (3)  Will it be compatible with System 6.0.3 as well as 7.0?

	Since it will ship BEFORE system 7.0, it will be compatable.

> (4)  What responsibilities of terminal emulation are left to the
> application (or other calling) software?  For instance, do the built-in
> terminal emulators implement scrollback and connection-time saving to
> disk, or are there callback hooks to allow client software to handle
> these features?

	The terminal tools are ONLY responsible for display of the terminal
window.  For a VT100, for example, this would be the last 24X80 chars that came
in (and I do not know if it will support other heights and widths :-).  The
calling application is responsible for implementing scrollback, capture to
disk or logging printer, etc.  Since the calling appl gets the data BEFORE
passing it off to the tools as well as AFTER, you can use the data as you see
fit.
	This does pose some questions as to how do you select text across the
terminal window AND the scrollback, but I am assured that Apple is working on
trying to solve such problems.

> Thanks for any help you can give....
	No problem Tim...

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

mnkonar@smallberries.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Murat N. Konar) (06/28/89)

Does anyone have any availability info on Apple's MIDI Manager
or Toolbox or whatever?  Are we going to have to wait until
the Apple Corps. vs. Apple Computer suit is settled?
Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar        Honeywell Systems & Research Center, Camden, MN
mnkonar@SRC.honeywell.com (internet) {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!mnkonar(UUCP)