[comp.protocols.appletalk] IBM connectivity

kdb@intercon.uu.net (Kurt bauamn) (06/24/89)

In article <4011*kenw@noah.arc.cdn>, kenw@noah.arc.CDN (Ken Wallewein) writes:

>   Until recently, we had little to no interest in getting our Macs to talk to
> IBM mainframes.  Now we do.  For the moment, we want to connect to a 4381
> running VM/VSE.
>
>   What we envision is a Rube Goldberg arrangement that pipes the 3270-style
> output of the remote IBM's 3174 protocol convertor into a DECserver that talks
> LAT, over a 56kb ethernet bridge arrangement, through a local non-DEC terminal
> server to convert it to TCP/IP, and then through a Fastpath to a Mac running
> tn3270 or the like.
>
>   Now, assuming the terminal servers to what we hope, will this work?  Are
> there better ways to do it?  We don't have TCP/IP on the IBM beast, and it
> would no doubt be expensive.  Suggestions, anyone?
>
> /kenw

You should check with a company like ACC, Intel, or IBM themselves, as there
are boxes out there that will take 3270 and convert into TCP/IP.  I do not
know the specifics of how exactly this works (someone want to jump in here),
but I know that there are several companies who are running our product over
TCP/IP out to their IBM through a ACC (or some such) and doing multiple 3270
sessions on their Mac.  TCP/Connect supports 3278 models 2,3,4,5 and Brown has
a PD version of 3179g emulation that will support one session at a time.

As far as I can tell, using a ACC (or whatever) box is just about the standard
way of doing what you want.  Anyone have any other information to add?

--
Kurt Baumann

InterCon Systems Corporation
46950 Community Plaza
Suite 101-132
Sterling, VA 22170              Phone: 703.450.7117

enwall@Apple.COM (Tim Enwall) (06/28/89)

In article <4011*kenw@noah.arc.cdn>, kenw@noah.arc.CDN (Ken Wallewein) writes:

>   Until recently, we had little to no interest in getting our Macs to talk to
> IBM mainframes.  Now we do.  For the moment, we want to connect to a 4381
> running VM/VSE.
>
>   What we envision is a Rube Goldberg arrangement that pipes the 3270-style
> output of the remote IBM's 3174 protocol convertor into a DECserver that talks
> LAT, over a 56kb ethernet bridge arrangement, through a local non-DEC terminal
> server to convert it to TCP/IP, and then through a Fastpath to a Mac running
> tn3270 or the like.
>
>   Now, assuming the terminal servers to what we hope, will this work?  Are
> there better ways to do it?  We don't have TCP/IP on the IBM beast, and it
> would no doubt be expensive.  Suggestions, anyone?
>
> /kenw

You might also think about two other possibilities:

1) TriData makes a box called the Netway 2000 which connects to the 3174 and
then to AppleTalk and distributes (so they say) up to 16 AppleTalk 3270
sessions.

2) Apple just introduced a 3270 card and MacDFT which is 3270 terminal
emulation for the Mac.  Each card would go into the Mac II and then connect
directly to the 3174.

Hope this helps.

Tim Enwall