[comp.protocols.appletalk] GatorBox & mt XINU

brett@linod.UUCP (Dr. Michael R. Brett) (06/28/89)

Hello out there,

we have a little problem with our GatorBox (GatorSoftware 1.25).
The GBox works fine for AppleShare access on our SUNs (SUN OS 4.0,
SUN UNIX 4.2) but refuses to connect to our VAX (mt XINU 4.3 BSD UNIX).
We checked the GBox's configuration, the /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.equiv files
on the VAX, but aren't able to fix our problem. The only hints we have are
the following lines from the GBox's Message Log:

00:00:03:20 L2    0 AFP: command 12
00:00:03:21 L4    0 MOUNT: Mount of /etc failed with error 13: Ownership
		    violation
00:00:03:21 L4 d0d1 AFP: Authetication using files failed
00:00:03:21 L2 d0d1 some login problem (LoginComp)
00:00:03:21 L2 c18d [SSSReplyMsg] ASP session maintainer completed.
00:00:03:21 L2 c18d SSSReceiveMsg: GetRequest error.
00:00:03:21 L3 fbd0 session closed (GetRequest_Completion)

Any suggestions ?

With best regards
Michael

               +--+          Michael R. Brett
               |  |
+--------+-----+  +----+       Linotype  AG
|        |     |  |    | Mergenthaler Allee 55-75
|  |  |  |  +--+  +--  |    D-6236 Eschborn/Ts
|  |  |  |  |  |       |
+--+--+--+--+  +-------+           F R G
StdPhone...............:     +49 6196 403 379
USENET.................:   ..!unido!linod!brett
AppleLink..............:        GER.XDV0010

chris@cayman.COM (Chris North) (06/29/89)

In article <238@linod.UUCP>, brett@linod.UUCP (Dr. Michael R. Brett) writes:

> we have a little problem with our GatorBox (GatorSoftware 1.25).
> The GBox works fine for AppleShare access on our SUNs (SUN OS 4.0,
> SUN UNIX 4.2) but refuses to connect to our VAX (mt XINU 4.3 BSD UNIX).
> We checked the GBox's configuration, the /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.equiv files
> on the VAX, but aren't able to fix our problem. The only hints we have are
> the following lines from the GBox's Message Log:
>
> 00:00:03:20 L2    0 AFP: command 12
> 00:00:03:21 L4    0 MOUNT: Mount of /etc failed with error 13: Ownership
> 		    violation
> 00:00:03:21 L4 d0d1 AFP: Authetication using files failed
> 00:00:03:21 L2 d0d1 some login problem (LoginComp)
> 00:00:03:21 L2 c18d [SSSReplyMsg] ASP session maintainer completed.
> 00:00:03:21 L2 c18d SSSReceiveMsg: GetRequest error.
>
> Any suggestions ?

  The GatorBox mounts the /etc directory to do password and group
authentication.  There are basically three possibilities here.

1.  Either the / or /etc directory should be in the exports list
    (/etc/exports).  Note: if this is a security issue, you can
    restrict the exportation to just the GatorBox.

2.  The VAX has the kernel switch nfs_portmon turned on.  In this
    case a certain set of ports are marked as privileged and any
    device making a request for a non-privileged port is denied
    access.  You can either disable privilege ports (rpc.mountd -n)
    or use the newest version of GatorSoftware (1.4.0) which uses
    the privileged ports.

3.  The /etc directory is not readable and executable by everyone.

I hope this helps!

-Chris

--
Chris North                                chris@cayman.COM
Cayman Systems

mikem@copper.MDP.TEK.COM (Mike Mihalik) (06/30/89)

In article <238@linod.UUCP>, brett@linod.UUCP (Dr. Michael R. Brett) writes:
> Hello out there,
>
> we have a little problem with our GatorBox (GatorSoftware 1.25).
> The GBox works fine for AppleShare access on our SUNs (SUN OS 4.0,
> SUN UNIX 4.2) but refuses to connect to our VAX (mt XINU 4.3 BSD UNIX).
> We checked the GBox's configuration, the /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.equiv files
> on the VAX, but aren't able to fix our problem. The only hints we have are
> the following lines from the GBox's Message Log:

I recently had the same problem with an installation with our Sequent
Balance 8000. The fix was simple:

	Check to see if /etc is a volume by itself, or a subdirectory
	of the / volume.

	If it is part of your / (root) volume, then you need to export
	the / volume in your /etc/exports config file for NFS.

	Rather than export / in my configuration, I simply pointed the
	NFS group and user file info to some public directories in
	another volume. This is the GatorBox info you config for NFS
	mount points.

Maybe you can help me...

How do I get NCSA Telnet working with my GatorBox and MAC IIcx. The
connections never happen. Can't get past the point where the
connections dialog indicates it is searching for my host.

The other problem I have is acknowledged by Cayman, and will be fixed
sometime in the future. AppleShare PC operates with some peculiarity;
i.e. I can mount volumes, but I can't see any filenames. Ignoring
this, I can move files from PC to my server; I just can't move
anything from the server back to the PC.

Mike Mihalik

mdh@srhqla.SR.COM (Matt Hardin) (07/01/89)

In article <3276@copper.MDP.TEK.COM> mikem@copper.MDP.TEK.COM (Mike Mihalik) writes:
>Maybe you can help me...
>
>How do I get NCSA Telnet working with my GatorBox and MAC IIcx. The
>connections never happen. Can't get past the point where the
>connections dialog indicates it is searching for my host.

It appears that you do not have a name server running on your network. If
this is the case, you must edit your config.tel file to contain the IP
addresses of the various hosts on your network that you are going to connect
to. The config.tel file shipped with telnet has some samples, and the telnet
docs (on the floppy disk with telnet) discuss this topic.

Good luck!

>Mike Mihalik

			Matt Hardin
			SilentRadio Headquarters, Los Angeles