[comp.protocols.appletalk] Unbehaving GatorBox?

chris@cayman.COM (Chris North) (07/04/89)

  First of all, you did not misconfigure your desired system of a user
mounting a single personal volume which has a link to a public volume.
The GatorBox does not currently support symbolic links.  There is really
no way to accomplish your goal without mounting two volumes.

  Secondly, there is really no concept of a superuser in NFS.  When you
mount an NFS volume as the root user, you effectively have the privileges
of the nobody (uid=-2) user.  This is not just a GatorBox thing it is
part of the NFS spec.

  As far as your trouble copying from AppleSingle volumes to AppleDouble
volumes, I would like to hear more.  Please send me emall about this.
Thanks!

-chris

--
Chris North                                chris@cayman.COM
Cayman Systems

chris@cayman.COM (Chris North) (07/05/89)

In article <3299@cayman.COM>, chris@cayman.COM (Chris North) writes:

>   Secondly, there is really no concept of a superuser in NFS.  When you
> mount an NFS volume as the root user, you effectively have the privileges
> of the nobody (uid=-2) user.  This is not just a GatorBox thing it is
> part of the NFS spec.

  Actually, I made a mistake in the above statement

It's not part of the spec, it's part of the sun implementation.
NFS calls from UID 0 are mapped to the UID stored in the kernel variable
"_nobody", which can be -2, 0, or for that matter anything else you want
to put there
                (thanks, john :-))

-chris