[comp.protocols.appletalk] PC access to Appleshare server

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (john gerard) (06/29/89)

We need access from a PC to an existing AppleShare file server on EtherTalk.
I know everything would be lovely if we were using TOPS, but I believe that
TOPS is not AppleShare-compatible. Is there any suitable software?
The nice thing would be to leave the PC connected onto Ethernet, possibly
with a different Ethernet card to the one that it has now. Less nice would
be to equip it with a LocalTalk card and make a LocalTalk with it and a
Kinetics box (a bit expensive!).

Softwarewise, I guess that some file conversion programs would be sometimes
necessary, though I am told that Excel and Word are OK.

I do know that we could change the AppleShare server to be Novell, but
that would be a bit costly also.

Products available now? or RSN?

Mike Gerard
--
 _ _  o |             __                    |    jmg@cernvax.uucp

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (06/30/89)

In article <1029@cernvax.UUCP>, jmg@cernvax.UUCP (john gerard) writes:
> We need access from a PC to an existing AppleShare file server on EtherTalk.
> I know everything would be lovely if we were using TOPS, but I believe that
> TOPS is not AppleShare-compatible. Is there any suitable software?
> The nice thing would be to leave the PC connected onto Ethernet...
> Products available now? or RSN?
>
> Mike Gerard

I think what you want is in the real soon now category.  AppleShare PC
version 2.0 will support the placement of PCs on an EtherTalk using
something like a 3Com Ethernet card.  As to the exact date that this will
ship: sorry, I just sell the stuff.

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker) (06/30/89)

In article <1029@cernvax.UUCP>, jmg@cernvax.UUCP (john gerard) writes:
> We need access from a PC to an existing AppleShare file server on EtherTalk.
> I know everything would be lovely if we were using TOPS, but I believe that
> TOPS is not AppleShare-compatible. Is there any suitable software?
> The nice thing would be to leave the PC connected onto Ethernet, possibly
> with a different Ethernet card to the one that it has now. Less nice would
> be to equip it with a LocalTalk card and make a LocalTalk with it and a
> Kinetics box (a bit expensive!).
>
> Softwarewise, I guess that some file conversion programs would be sometimes
> necessary, though I am told that Excel and Word are OK.
>
> I do know that we could change the AppleShare server to be Novell, but
> that would be a bit costly also.
>
> Products available now? or RSN?
>
> Mike Gerard

AppleShare PC version 2.0 from Apple was announced June 12 with delivery in
the 3rd Quarter.  It allows access to AFP compatible servers (AppleShare,
AlisaShare, PacerShare, Netware with the AFP add-on, etc.), plus
it also allows a DOS application to do transparent printing to LaserWriters
or networked ImageWriters.  The DOS application outputs Epson command
codes they get translated to PostScript or ImageWriter commands.
AppleShare PC also works with applications that output postscript --
It just passes the postscript straight to the LaserWriter.

Version 2.0 supports DOS 4.0 and now works with other network cards besides
our own LocalTalk card.  It currently works on Ethernet, LocalTalk, or
TokenTalk using:
	Apple's LocalTalk PC card (for traditional bus)
	3Com EtherLink II MC card for microchannel
	3Com's EtherLink II (3C503) card for traditional bus
	IBM's TokenRing card (Microchannel & traditional bus)

The interface between the protocol stack and the network driver is 'open'
(it adheres to the Apple/Novell Open Data-Link Interface specification)
so drivers can be written for nearly any card to work with AppleShare PC.

The only file 'conversion' done by the product is DOS-Text to Mac-Text and
back (CR/LF pair to just a CR plus character set conversion where possible)

It does set the file/creator when copying files to a Server so you can double-
click on it from the Mac and launch the right application.

A potential 'fly in the ointment' for your specific case:  AppleShare PC 2.0
is AppleTalk Phase 2 compliant which means you need to convert the rest of
your net to Phase 2, or use the new Apple Internet Router with the Upgrade
Utility to provide the Phase 1/Phase 2 mapping.  The router is reasonably
priced and will run in the background on any mac plus or better.

Hope this helps.

Mike Shoemaker
Apple Computer, Inc.
Network Systems Development

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (07/03/89)

In article <1029@cernvax.UUCP>, jmg@cernvax.UUCP (john gerard) writes:
> We need access from a PC to an existing AppleShare file server on EtherTalk.
> I know everything would be lovely if we were using TOPS, but I believe that
> TOPS is not AppleShare-compatible. Is there any suitable software?

This is a wild idea. I think I've seen it working. Buy TOPS for one
Mac and the PC. Publish (with TOPS) your favourite AppleShare folders on
the Mac. You should then be able to get to them from the PC. If both
Macs are on the Ethernet it would be a lot better than LocalTalk ones.

Does this work? Any takers? AppleShare PC II is a lot neater though.

			    ---------
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz		|
Webster Computer Corp P/L	| "The concept of my
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd		|  existence is an
Scoresby VIC 3179    Australia	|  approximation"
Australia			|
61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179	|      D. Conway

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (john gerard) (07/06/89)

In article <32800@apple.Apple.COM> shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker) writes:
>AppleShare PC version 2.0 from Apple was announced June 12 with delivery in
>the 3rd Quarter.  It allows access to AFP compatible servers (AppleShare,
>AlisaShare, PacerShare, Netware with the AFP add-on, etc.), plus
>it also allows a DOS application to do transparent printing to LaserWriters
>or networked ImageWriters.  The DOS application outputs Epson command
>codes they get translated to PostScript or ImageWriter commands.
>AppleShare PC also works with applications that output postscript --
>It just passes the postscript straight to the LaserWriter.
>
>Version 2.0 supports DOS 4.0 and now works with other network cards besides
>our own LocalTalk card.  It currently works on Ethernet, LocalTalk, or
>TokenTalk using:
>	Apple's LocalTalk PC card (for traditional bus)
>	3Com EtherLink II MC card for microchannel
>	3Com's EtherLink II (3C503) card for traditional bus
>	IBM's TokenRing card (Microchannel & traditional bus)
>
>The interface between the protocol stack and the network driver is 'open'
>(it adheres to the Apple/Novell Open Data-Link Interface specification)
>so drivers can be written for nearly any card to work with AppleShare PC.

This is (almost) exactly what I want. However, we are still at the stage
where entropy is increasing and each answer brings more than one question
or problem.

For various reasons of history we have many PCs with Ethernet cards.
Almost none are 3C503!
We like a multiprotocol approach, so we run either a proprietary BICC
multiprotocol or FTP's Packet Driver. We can run Novell on top of either.

Agreed, ODI is open. Do ODI drivers exist for other cards? In any case,
it is not exactly "drivers" that we would need, but something working on
top of the packet drivers which we have (we are working on BICC to offer
a FTP-compatible Packet Driver).

The end need is to be able to ftp between a host computer such as our IBM
and the AppleShare PC disk. OSI protocols (FTAM) would come later.

It will be nice when we come down to one solution for multiprotocol
Ethernet packet I/O, rather than having Novell fight with Microsoft, with
FTP Inc. quietly picking up people in the middle. Roll on, Utopia!
--
 _ _  o |             __                    |    jmg@cernvax.uucp