[comp.protocols.appletalk] Comments wanted on our MAC-Net configuration

breu@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de (Michael Breu) (07/05/89)

Hello Netlanders!

Thank you to all, who helped us, to decide for a hardware configuration for our
new MAC-IIx and MAC-IIcx and the network.

Unfortunately our local dealer can't help us very much, whether this
configuration does fulfil our needs, because he doesn't have much experiences
with complexer networks and communication with Unix.

We are planning to have the following configuration:

	An ethernet with repeaters or (?) bridges
	several Unix workstations with TCP-IP/NFS
	4 MacII with ethercard connected to the ethernet (new)
	1 Gatorbox with ethernet and localtalk connection (new)
    and several old Mac+ connected to the old localtalk

        Unix-Workstations/ Server with NFS

        ___      _____      ______
       |Sun|    | Dec |    |  HP  |
       |___|    |_____|    |______|
         |         |   ...    |       ________          EtherNet
=====================================|Repeat./|=================================
     |      EtherNet                 |Bridge  |     |        |       |       |
   __|__                              --------    __|__    __|__   __|__   __|__
  |Gator|                                        |MacII| |MacII| |MacII| |MacII|
  | Box |                                        |__cx_| |__cx_| |__c__| |__c__|
  |_____|                                           4 Mac II with ethercard

    o|  ______
    c|--|Mac+|
    a|  ------
    l| ...
    T|  ______
    a|--|Mac+|
    l|  ------
    k|

Before we buy the MacII's and the GatorBox, we would like to get definitive
answers to the following questions:

1. GatorBox:

	a) Can the Unix-workstations play the role of a file server via
	NFS <-> GatorBox <-> Appleshare as well for the Mac+'s and the
	MacII's ? I.e. can the GatorBox be configured in such a way,
	that it accepts apple share commands both from LocalTalk and
	EtherNet and translates them into NFS commands and vice versa.

	b) Is this solution crash proof, i.e. if the NFS-server crashes
	and restarts, can the apple share clients continue their file
	operations after restart of the server?

	c) Does the GatorBox support the use of a LaserWriter connected
	to one of the Unix-workstations?

	d) Performance for
		 7 Mac+ with small document transfer/email
                +4 MacII with small/medium document size transfer/email ?

2. remote login
	Can we use this configuration, to do simple telnet-/ftp-login from the
	MacII's and Mac+'s to the Unix-crunchers with NCSA-software or any
	other?

3. MacX or eXodus
	The main reason to decide for this configuration was, that we
	can use the MacII as X-window display server for the
	Unix-crunchers. The software package eXodus implements such a
	server.  Apple has anounced its on product called MacX.

	a) Who knows: Are there differences is the functionality of
	eXodus and the proposed MacX ? Are there differences in the
	performance ?

	b) It is not clear to us, whether the
	communication between the MacII and the Unix-Workstations uses
	the capability of the GatorBox to translate between AppleTalk
	(bottle neck) and TCP/IP or does the MacII speak directly
	TCP/IP with the Unix machines via the MacOS or via some
	additional software drivers?

4. Bridge versus repeater
	Do we run into any problems, if we connect the two parts of our
	ethernet with a bridge, that filters throughput and not by a
	repeater.

We would appreciate any answers and comments to any of the four questions above.

Thank you

Michael Breu			Email: breu@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de
Innstrasse 33		               breu@unipas.uucp
8390 Passau			       ...!mcvax!unido!unipas!breu
W.-Germany			Tel: 0851/509-354

--
Michael Breu			Email: breu@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de
Innstrasse 33			Tel: 0851/509-354

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (07/06/89)

In article <594@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de> breu@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de (Michael Breu) writes:
>We are planning to have the following configuration:
>
>	An ethernet with repeaters or (?) bridges
>	several Unix workstations with TCP-IP/NFS
>	4 MacII with ethercard connected to the ethernet (new)
>	1 Gatorbox with ethernet and localtalk connection (new)
>    and several old Mac+ connected to the old localtalk

Looks to me like your plan will do what you think it will, my question
is about speed.

We recently got a Gatorbox and it seems to mostly work.  I'm not sure
we have it installed correctly, but going from a Mac IIx through a
Kinetics EtherTalk card through the Gatorbox to a Sun (3/60?), it
seems to be slightly *slower* then an SE running AppleShare, talking
to another SE over PhoneNET.  When transferring files to the server,
both can do about a megabyte a minute.  When opening and closing
folders on the server, AppleShare is rather fast, the Gatorbox/Sun
combination is much slower.

Anybody know how fast the Gatorbox *should* be?  Shouldn't it be
faster than AppleShare on an SE over a twisted pair?  It costs
enough...

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
...!husc6!lloyd!kent

kdb@InterCon.uu.net (Kurt Baumann) (07/11/89)

In article <9520@fluke.COM>, jeff@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Stearns) writes:
> In article <594@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de> breu@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de
> (Michael Breu) writes:
>

> >2. remote login
> >	Can we use this configuration, to do simple telnet-/ftp-login from the
> >	MacII's and Mac+'s to the Unix-crunchers with NCSA-software or any
> >	other?
> 		NCSA telnet works just fine.
>
> --
>     Jeff Stearns        John Fluke Mfg. Co, Inc.               (206) 356-5064
>     jeff@tc.fluke.COM   {uw-beaver,microsoft,sun}!fluke!jeff

NCSA Telnet, SU-MacIP, Kinetic's HostAccess, and InterCon's TCP/Connect will
all work just fine over a GatorBox.  MacTCP (Apple's Drivers) have a problem
running over a GatorBox currently (unless Cayman or Apple has changed this
recently).  I am not sure about Kinetic's drivers, but I would imagine that
they would have no problem either.
--
Kurt Baumann

InterCon Systems Corporation
46950 Community Plaza
Suite 101-132
Sterling, VA 22170                   Phone: 703.450.7117