[comp.protocols.appletalk] Berkeley sockets on the Mac?

stan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (See-Mong Tan) (07/14/89)

Not being a Macperson, could someone let me know if there exists an
implementation of Berkeley sockets for the Mac?  I'm looking to write
something that talks between a Mac and a Unix system, and sockets would
be really nice.

Please e-mail, and thanks in advance.

--
stan@cory.berkeley.edu
stan@lbl-csam.arpa

kdb@intercon.uu.net (Kurt Baumann) (07/15/89)

In article <15436@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, stan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (See-Mong Tan) writes:
> Not being a Macperson, could someone let me know if there exists an
> implementation of Berkeley sockets for the Mac?  I'm looking to write
> something that talks between a Mac and a Unix system, and sockets would
> be really nice.
>
> Please e-mail, and thanks in advance.
>
> --
> stan@cory.berkeley.edu
> stan@lbl-csam.arpa
> Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory

Besides the fact that if you are writing new software (not porting) on the
Mac it doesn't make sense to use sockets, the answer is yes.  Kinetics has
a programmers package for their TCP/IP drivers that they are selling which
has sockets.  Give them a call.  So far there are no other packages on the
market that I am aware of.
--
Kurt Baumann

InterCon Systems Corporation
46950 Community Plaza
Suite 101-132
Sterling, VA 22170                      Phone: 703.450.7117

time@oxtrap.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us (Tim Endres) (07/21/89)

In article <15436@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> stan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (See-Mong Tan) writes:

   Not being a Macperson, could someone let me know if there exists an
   implementation of Berkeley sockets for the Mac?  I'm looking to write
   something that talks between a Mac and a Unix system, and sockets would
   be really nice.

ftp "citi-macip" from citi.umich.edu.
Complete TCP/UDP/IP implementation with sockets.
Free and robust. This was developed for Apple using Apple Funds.