[comp.protocols.appletalk] Advise for phonenet cabling scheme

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (07/22/89)

In <Added.cYlViS200UkT4NLU9L@andrew.cmu.edu> johnmark@COYOTE.STANFORD.EDU
(John Mark Agosta) writes:
> If you do something passive-able and cheap that lasts for a couple years,
> aren't you setting yourself up for "network crisis" in (what should be
> the forseeable) future.

	Suggestion.  Start off with a passive star, but plan from day one
(like we did) that some day you will break the passive hub and put a
StarController in its place.  When we started our AppleTalk network using
PhoneNet over existing 24-gauge twisted pair, we broke wiring rules left
and right to save money and time (not a suggested idea, but a testimony to
how conservative the PhoneNet specs are, or looking at it another way, how
robust the equipment is).  BUT, we also had all 4 major branches (one per
floor) run up to the same phone closet.

	When our net finally got so big that it didn't work anymore, all I
had to do was install a StarController with associated 66 block, yank out
the one jumper which connected the 4 branches, and install individual
jumpers to the first 4 ports on our SC.  By cutting the mess into 4
less-bad pieces, everything started to work again.  Now, we're slowly going
back and rearranging the worst parts, but that can be done a bit at a time
and with little disruption to the working net.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"