[comp.protocols.appletalk] MAC II NFS

goodloe@b11.ingr.com (Tony Goodloe) (07/24/89)

In article <13105@netnews.upenn.edu>, jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) writes:
> To a unix person, the ability for
> a user to be able to change his machine's IP address at virtually any time
> seems absurd.
> 						Jeff White

Help out a poor hardware-oriented person. I thought that since the IP
address was a "soft" incarnation, that on any IP system, anyone (with
proper priveleges) (is that the key to your objection ?) could change the
address. Let me know if I'm missing something. Seems like I always am.

tony goodloe

chris@cayman.COM (Chris North) (07/24/89)

> could enter practically any IP address.  To a unix person, the ability for
> a user to be able to change his machine's IP address at virtually any time
> seems absurd.
>   Does anyone out there run NCSA Telnet or something similar in public labs?
> If so, how do you handle this potential problem.

  The GatorBox will only allow a user to select an IP address (static or
dynamic) from within the MacIP range specified during configuration.  If
you select an address outside of this range, Telnet will not work.

-chris

--
Chris North                                chris@cayman.COM
Cayman Systems