[comp.protocols.appletalk] Apple LaserWriter and EtherTalk

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (07/30/89)

whna@cgch.UUCP (Heinz Naef) asks about LaserWriters and Ethernet:

> 3 - Ethernet -- (EtherTalk) LaserWriter

Doesn't work because you cannot retrofit a LW with Ethernet and
EtherTalk.

> 4 - Ethernet -- (EtherTalk) EtherSC/Nodem/.. (SCSI) -- (SCSI?) LaserWriter

Although the LW IISC has a SCSI port, the printer doesn't have
PostScript and cannot be retrofitted. It is a 300 dpi QuickDraw
printer that can't even be connected to LocalTalk.

> 5 - Ethernet -- (EtherTalk) Mac (Gateway Software?) (LocalTalk) -- LaserWriter
> could an old MacPlus act as a gateway between EtherTalk and LocalTalk
> to drive the LaserWriter? This might be the same Mac which is
> dedicated for the printer service in the net.

You might want to look at Infosphere's Liaison. Liaison will run in
the background on a Mac and provide routing and bridging capabilities.
Although I haven't tried it, running Liaison and a spooler such as
Apple's (whose official name currently escapes me) should work.

Stephan Somogyi                 MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com
NetWorkShop Coordinator                    or
MacUser                      ...sun!cup.portal.com!MacUserLabs

Stay alert, trust no-one, keep your laser handy.

Any opinions expressed above are mine.

rolfe@w3vh.UU.NET (Rolfe Tessem) (07/30/89)

In article <852@cgch.UUCP> whna@cgch.UUCP (Heinz Naef) writes:
>Hello MacTalkers,
>
>I'm wondering if there would be a more elegant way to connect an Apple
>LaserWriter to an Ethernet running EtherTalk than the following:

(various examples of hardware bridges deleted)

Get yourself a copy of Liaison from Infosphere, which is a software bridge
that will run on any Mac containing both Localtalk and Ethernet interfaces.
I run it on my Mac II and notice no degradation on foreground tasks at all.
Price is under $200, if memory serves.

Like you, I have several Macs all on their own Ethernet, and this is
definitely the most cost-effective solution.

--
UUCP:         uunet!w3vh!rolfe 			| Rolfe Tessem
INTERNET:     rolfe@w3vh.uu.net			| P.O. Box 793

piro@hoptoad.uucp (Giovanni Paoletti) (08/01/89)

In article <451@w3vh.UU.NET> rolfe@w3vh.UUCP (Rolfe Tessem) writes:
>In article <852@cgch.UUCP> whna@cgch.UUCP (Heinz Naef) writes:
>>Hello MacTalkers,
>>
>>I'm wondering if there would be a more elegant way to connect an Apple
>>LaserWriter to an Ethernet running EtherTalk than the following:
>
>(various examples of hardware bridges deleted)
>
>Get yourself a copy of Liaison from Infosphere, which is a software bridge
>that will run on any Mac containing both Localtalk and Ethernet interfaces.
>I run it on my Mac II and notice no degradation on foreground tasks at all.
>Price is under $200, if memory serves.
>
>Like you, I have several Macs all on their own Ethernet, and this is
>definitely the most cost-effective solution.

I would also suggest you to look at the new router from Apple.
While the price is not as cheap, it will allow you to manage up
to 8 ports ,6 EtherTalk or TokenTalk and 2 LocalTalk, on a Mac
II, while working in the background.

If memory serves me correctly Liason can only manage up to 3
ports per machine.

Giovanni Paoletti
Widget Systems

Usual disclaimer: All opinions are mine, etc. ...