[comp.protocols.appletalk] FastPast vs GatorBox ?

tony@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Anthony Olejnik) (08/02/89)

I have to make a decision between purchasing a Kinetics
FastPath or a Cayman GatorBox.

I've read the literature.
I've 'listened' to the various discussions on the 'NET'.
It seems that the two products are running 'neck-in-neck'.
When some pricing changes (in the near future) take effect,
they will even cost the same.

I don't need NFS for now (I think I'll wait until MacNFS from Apple appears).
I'm not sure if I need KIP/CAP at this time either.

So, Does anyone have a summary of the pros and/or cons of the two products?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--tony olejnik
  Univeristy of Pennsylvania
  Data Communications and Computing Services
  Suite 221A
  3401 Walnut Street
  Philadelphia, PA 19104
  (215) 898-9408
  tony@dccs.upenn.edu

--Tony Olejnik
  University of Pennsylvania

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (08/03/89)

In article <13372@netnews.upenn.edu> tony@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu
(Anthony Olejnik) writes:

 > I have to make a decision between purchasing a Kinetics FastPath
 > or a Cayman GatorBox.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here at the <mumble> corporation, we have 37 zones, all with
Kinetics boxes.  We did have one zone with a Gator Box, but
we could not get it to support NCSA Telnet.  It also crashed
a lot.  After investing an unconscionable effort to make the
Gator Box work, we gave up and went with Kinetics all the way.
The KFP4 is a breeze to install.

--Barry Kort

moyman@AQUARIUM.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Mike "appletalk" MacMoya) (08/07/89)

   From:  -David C. Kovar <kovar%popvax@harvard.harvard.edu>
   Subject:  Re: FastPast vs GatorBox ?

   >> I have to make a decision between purchasing a Kinetics FastPath
   >> or a Cayman GatorBox.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

   > We did have one zone with a Gator Box, but
   > we could not get it to support NCSA Telnet.  It also crashed
   > a lot.

-I couldn't get NCSA Telnet to work *properly* either...

     Just a counter-example. I've been very happy with the GatorBox
   and found it supported NCSA Telnet beautifully. More importantly,
   at least for us, it supports NFS which allows us to use our Suns
   as a file server for the Macintoshes.

-GB NFS is nice, but CAP Aufs through a Kinetics box has the same
 functionality and it's *FREEEEEEE*

   Granted, the NFS performance
   isn't blinding, but it certainly does the job.

-CAP Aufs through a Kinetics box is faster, and will not crash under heavy useage...

   Additionally, Cayman plans to support printing via the GatorBox
   in the near future and mail a little while down the road.
   Definite plusses for us.

-These are great things for the GB to have in the *future*, but CAP
lwsrv does printing on UNIX hosts *now* and it's *FREEEEE*...and MacMH
(MacIP) with the Kinetics box does mail *now* and the licensing fee is
so small...it might as well be *FREEEEE*...

   If you don't need these functions, buying a FastPath used to make
   sense as it was cheaper. Cayman is now unbundling the functions and
   a basic GatorBox will compete with the FastPath quite well.

-actually, now that cayman is unbundling the functions it's *still*
more expensive...but a Cayman GB used only as a Gateway is far from
being competative with the Kinetics Box.

   We've never loaded the GatorBox down with 30 user, I'll grant you,
   but we've never had it crash and it's been running since August of
   last year. This is on an isolated network. We also installed one on
   a network that contained FastPaths and ended up with ARP storms.
   I don't remember all of the gory details so I'm not going to try
   to explain it but Cayman came in, diagnosed the problem, and fixed
   it to our satisfaction.

-hey, this is great when the Cayman building is down the street...I
don't think they will hop on a plane when it happens here.
If I get an arp storm you put up the umbrella and ride it out...
I must say that Cayman's Technical support is first rate, they usually
usually know what's going on and are eager to help...

   I'm not sure what the software for setting up the FastPath looks
   like at present but the GatorBox configuration software is a joy to
   use. Various functions are broken down into different screens,
   default values make sense, configurations may be saved or printed,
   and the diagnostics make sense and are helpful. I've been very
   happy with it.

-I've used both set ups and the ease of use depends on what kind of
network your bringing your box up on...I would say they are equal on this point...

   Lastly, Kinetics has had quality control problems for the past
   several years. The one that comes to mind is the power supply that
   failed in the new FastPath 2's but I've heard of other problems
   since.

-Yea, but if you get a Kbox that came off the line on tuesday or
Thursday you will be alright :-)  ...Kinetics has had problems
here...and it's starting to get on my nerves...

Mike Moya
Engineering Computer Network
Purdue University

disclaimer: My opinion are my own...I have no affiliation with
Kinetics..er a..Excelan..er a Novell er a the makers of that
purple gateway thingy other than I use them and bother their
tech support...