[comp.protocols.appletalk] Printing Mac-generated PostScript files

rich@sendai.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us (K. Richard Magill) (08/22/89)

In article <400@kong.Atlanta.NCR.COM> marc@kong.Atlanta.NCR.COM (Marc Rhodes) writes:

   I know that these sort of problems have been discussed often, but since
   they did not apply to me I don't remember any of the solutions.  Please,
   someone, mail or post some suggestions to me.  If you need any additional
   information (exact printer model, or whatever) I'll find out whatever
   you need to know.

I've been having considerable luck with macps available at your
nearest mac FTP site.  Get it, try it.
--
rich.

jeff@ugly.cs.ubc.ca (jeff robert kaminski) (08/23/89)

In article <RICH.89Aug21230411@sendai.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us>
rich@sendai.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us (K. Richard Magill) replys:

>>I've been having considerable luck with macps available at your
>>nearest mac FTP site.  Get it, try it.

We have a problem in printing Macintosh II generated postscript  files
on  a  NEC  LC 890 attached to a Sun workstation serial port.  We have
already discovered how to produce the Apple laserprep  information  by
using  the  command-K print option on the Mac. I ftp'd this to our Sun
and removed the  postscript  file  description  that  came  after  the
laserprep  info.  I  then  had  to  add  a  line  near the top of this
postscript prep file so the laserwriter would save the Apple  prep  in
VM.  The line enables the laserwriter to exit the serverloop until the
next EOF and is as follows: "serverdict begin 0 exitserver".   I  sent
this  file  to  the  laserwriter  to  prepare  it  for  subsequent Mac
postscript files.

To produce  postscript  files  on  the  Mac  that  don't  contain  the
laserprep, we used the F print option. After ftping one of these files
to the Sun, it WILL print, but at the end of the print job the printer
goes  into a loop spewing out "improper response: %%[ job: ; document:
name; status: waiting; source: serial 9 ]%%". The easiest way to reset
the  printer  seems  to  be  by  removing the job from the queue, then
turning the printer off and on. Actually,  I  hacked  a  script  which
temporarily  disables printing for everyone else while the Mac file is
printed, then activates the printer's interactive mode to reset it  to
"on line idle".

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I have  to  override  the  more
elegant  line spooling system, and would much appreciate any advice on
this topic. Perhaps there is something more that one has to do to  the
laserprep file? If you don't want to bog everyone down with reruns, my
E-Mail address is jeff@geog.ubc.ca.

By  the  way,  what  is  macps?   We're at UBC  (University of British
Columbia)  and  I'm  not  familiar  with  Mac FTP sites.  Could anyone
recommend a close one to here?

rich@sendai.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us (K. Richard Magill) (08/23/89)

In article <4799@ubc-cs.UUCP> jeff@ugly.cs.ubc.ca (jeff robert kaminski) writes:

[lots of stuff on trying to get macScript printing on a PostScript
device...]

Macps is a program that effectively converts MacScript (Which is not
PostScript(tm)) into PostScript.  I use it regularly with considerable
luck.  It should be on the mac ftp sites(*).

If you have a postscript compatable printer connected to a unix box,
you should also have (or get) a copy of TransScript.  TransScript is a
piece of software originally from Adobe (also remarketed by sun) that
includes a postscript driver for the standard printer spooler, a troff
to postscript converter, a ditroff to postscript converted, etc.  It's
fairly cheap as these things go, and well worth the cost in
aggravation prevented.

xoxorich.

* you mentioned you don't know where the mac ftp sites are.  I don't
  either as I'm not on the internet, but I think
  sumex-aim.stanford.edu = 36.44.0.6, is the biggie.
--
rich.