[comp.protocols.appletalk] MacTCP/K* across zones?

urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de (Matthias Urlichs) (08/19/89)

Picture this configuration:

We are trying to run one Fastpath 4, K-Star 7.0, as our main gateway.
It translates between LocalTalk, EtherTalk, and UDP-Talk just fine.
(It uses the atalkatab data from one of the Unix hosts.)

Our old Fastpath-2s are running ETalk-gw.srec to translate between LocalTalk
and EtherTalk, obviously without consulting any atalkad.
This works fine, everything works, EXCEPT:
Suppose I am on LocalTalk behind the FP-4 and use MacTCP. It finds the
gateway. (This is very astonishing because there isn't any IPGATEWAY to be
found in MacTCP. I had to patch K-Star 7.0 to register itself as IPGATEWAY
instead of IPADDRESS because otherwise our other stuff had stopped working.)

Suppose instead that I am on LocalTalk behind the old FP-2. InterPoll sees the
FP-4.  However, regardless of which zone I select in MacTCP's Control
SubPanel, Telnet (2.3 MacTCP) doesn't start up properly (instead it just
terminates silently).
And please don't tell me about setting Option 7 in the FP-4; it _is_ set.

clay@claris.com (Clay A. Maeckel) (08/24/89)

urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>Picture this configuration:

We have the same set up except we haven't gotten version 7.0 and haven't
patched K*Star. (Also instead of FP-2s we have many other FP-4s and FP-3
doing EtherTalk only).

>Suppose instead that I am on LocalTalk behind the old FP-2. InterPoll sees the
>FP-4.  However, regardless of which zone I select in MacTCP's Control
>SubPanel, Telnet (2.3 MacTCP) doesn't start up properly (instead it just
>terminates silently).

I haven't been able to get it work either, but using NCSA Telnet 2.3 regular
version and setting the zone match the LocalTalk side of the K*Star box works
quite well for us. I would be interested in finding out how to get MacTCP to
work correctly also.

--
 Clay Maeckel         *   UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!clay
 (I know nothing!)    *   Internet:  clay@claris.com  *  GEnie: C.MAECKEL