[comp.protocols.appletalk] Experiences with Jasmine DirectServe?

tag@symbas.UUCP (Arne Gisvold) (08/14/89)

In article <3922@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

>	We're considering buying a Jasmine DirectServe AppleTalk file
>server.  Does anybody have any experience, good or bad, with these?

We have used several of these under their original name
"Ferroshare/SymbShare" in europe, and have experienced few problems.

Our main complaint has been with the pre-Jasmine releases of the
software, and limited the numer of simultaneous users to 10 pr.
server. This has been solved in the new release of the software.

But remember - you can not run any other programs such as the
printspooler on the DirectServe - something you can do on a Mac with
AppleShare!

Regards

Tor-Arne

tag@symbas.UUCP (Arne Gisvold) (08/18/89)

In article <21068@paris.ics.uci.edu> truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) writes:
>roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>

>>	We're considering buying a Jasmine DirectServe AppleTalk file
>>server.  Does anybody have any experience, good or bad, with these?
>>--
>
>The DirectServe isn't available yet. It would be pretty hard to get an
>opinion about the operation "in situ" without breaking non-disclosure or
>asking someone else to.

Interesting - but not correct.

We have been running these boxes for more than 12 months now -
admittedly with another name on the front (FerroShare/SymbShare). The
software in fron of me is "DirectServe version 1.0b10" if you are
interested.

The project did not originate with Jasmine at all - but with a small
english company called Ferroglen, and they have been selling it for
approcimately 14 months now. They have signed an agreement for joint
development and distribution with jasmine to reach a wider market.

I have never signed a non-disclosure agreement on this incidentally.

The original software had a few snags - a limit of 11 users was the
main one - amd AppleShare 1.0 compatibility. The new "DirectServe"
version has had the problems ironed out by an Australian university
and Jasmine as far as I know.

We are satisfied with the boxes this far - and have 5 of them running
at various sites.

Regards
Tor-Arne Gisvold

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (08/26/89)

tag@symbas.UUCP (Arne Gisvold) writes:

>>The DirectServe isn't available yet. It would be pretty hard to get an
>>opinion about the operation "in situ" without breaking non-disclosure or
>>asking someone else to.
>>
>Interesting - but not correct.

Hi Arne.  Thanks for your input on this. I didn't know that Ferroglen
and Jasmine were continuing joint development. I had assumed (for no
reason) that Jasmine had taken over the project completely.

I would like to restate my original point on the DirectServe:  It is
unfair or misleading to pass widespread judgement on a product that is
still under development. If the product is completely off target (which
the DirectServe definitely is not) then I can accept some warning
shots. From what I've seen of the product, they are definitely ON
target and very close to ironing out the last of the details.

I feel that it is especially important not to comment too much on
performance of unreleased projects because fine-tuning for speed is
often some of the last tasks remaining to be done.

>We are satisfied with the boxes this far - and have 5 of them running
>at various sites.

This last sentence I find very encouraging. To hear satisfaction about
a product still in beta test is very good news indeed. I look forward
to following more news on this important product.

  Thanks for your note,

     --scott

--
Scott Truesdell